[ptx] libpano12 - build with GNU autoconf, automake and libtool

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Sun Nov 7 17:09:47 GMT 2004

On Sun 07-Nov-2004 at 15:22 +0100, Andreas Hirczy wrote:

> I have made a first attempt to create an alternative build system for
> libpano12 utilizing GNU autoconf, automake and libtool.

Great, this is really useful.  I'm Cc'ing this reply to
panotools-devel as probably not everyone is subscribed to the ptx
list.

Everything works fine for me on fedora fc2, these are my comments so
far:

- Java libraries.  The pano12 library can be built without Sun Java,
  as long as you have gnu gcc-gcj headers in place.

- The header files are being installed to $PREFIX/include.  Hugin
  and other tools expect them in $PREFIX/include/pano12 - This is
  probably why you can't get hugin to build.

- Just five of the header files are installed by the Makefile, is
  this intentional or are these all that are required to link to the
  library?  This could be the other reason hugin doesn't build.

- I don't have a full list of contributor names, but you should at
  least add Bret McKee to the AUTHORS file.

- This build system needs to work on mac osx and win32 as well as
  linux.  We need testers for osx and Windows, any volunteers?

- It was a mistake to introduce the old windows makefile into CVS as
  'Makefile', this should be renamed to 'makefile.win32' so there is
  no collision with the automake generated file.

- These files and links are created:

    libpano12.so -> libpano12.so.0.0.0
    libpano12.so.0 -> libpano12.so.0.0.0
    libpano12.so.0.0.0

  I'm not sure, but shouldn't they be something like this:

    libpano12.so -> libpano12.so.2.7.0.7
    libpano12.so.2 -> libpano12.so.2.7.0.7
    libpano12.so.2.7.0.7

If nobody objects, I'll add the three new files (AUTHORS, bootstrap,
configure.in, HACKING & Makefile.am) to the libpano CVS.