[ptx] Things to do before the next hugin release

Douglas Wilkins douglasw at zahav.net.il
Thu Nov 4 21:28:51 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 19:30 +0100, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:

[snip]
> Looks like a hassle.. however, most people probably want to use windows in
> the default language, so changing is not really a thing done everyday or?
>
> What about the Win9X systems, I've recompiled wxWindows on win for unicode,
> and it complained that libunicows was not found, and that unicode apps will
> only work on WinNT based systems.
>
> And the libunicows homepage says (it depends on MSLU from microsoft):
> MSLU comes with licensing terms that are highly unfriendly to Open Source
> applications: although you can freely distribute unicows.dll with your
> application, your licensing terms must meet certain conditions that no Open
> Source license can. Namely, you must forbid further redistribution and the
> license must be an EULA accepted by the user either in writing or using
> click-through or shrink-wrap mechanism.
>
> I really like microsoft.

OK, there are two points here to consider:
1. On Win9x unicode is an afterthought and ANSI is the default
2. On Win2K and upwards unicode is built into the OS and used by
default, ANSI is there really only for backwards compatibility.

Therefore for Win9x users, an ANSI build is preferable (and will work as
expected), while for 2K, XP, 2003 etc. users, the unicode is preferable.
What that implies to me is that we probably need to distribute 2
versions and not worry too much about MSLU issues.

> > > - maybe fix the layout issues on small screens, although I have no idea how
> > >   this can be done with the current XRC.
> >
> > Either:
> > 1. Reduce the border etc. widths (leading to a "squashed" look)
> > 2. Use a "tabbed" style inside of each current tab to reduce the
> > required screen size.
> > 3. Hide some of the functionality behind an "advanced" button
> > 4. ?? No Idea :-)
>
> Hmm, I tried the cheap solution of adding scrollbars to the widgets to big
> for the screen, but that didn't work as advertised in the wxWindows
> documentations.

:-(( Once I have the unicode issues sorted out [did I mention that
unicode is a b**ch? :-)] I will also look at this issue again

regards,
Doug