[ptx] Things to do before the next hugin release

Douglas Wilkins douglasw at zahav.net.il
Thu Nov 4 11:19:16 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 01:44 +0100, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004, spec at webtech.pl wrote:
>
> > Basicly I'm looking for some plan what is the to do list for stable 0.4?
> > Theoretically beta version is just killing bugs now, but maybe we could
> > get the unicode version to work too? (so we could have fully localized
> > hugin)
>
> My current list for a release is that:
>
> - working unicode build.

I am busy with this at the moment

> - complete translations (probably need to find more translators)
> - language selector (for the windows people, who can't do LANG=xx)

A unicode build would solve this problem. Currently, by setting the
system locale, hugin will run in translated fashion on windows, but the
process to set the locale is not obvious. see
wxWidgets is a non-unicode program, so I
needed to set the system locale for that. See:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/user/xpintlsupp.mspx
under
Changing Language for non-Unicode Programs

for info for XP and

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/user/2kintlsupp.mspx
under
Changing System Locale

for windows 2000 specific information.

> - some more bugfixes, especially the pairwise optimizer crash
>
> - updated user manual + key reference
>
> - maybe we should add one of these annoying "Tip of the day"
>   windows with tips and tricks, people won't discover easily.

With an option to turn it off :-)

> - maybe fix the layout issues on small screens, although I have no idea how
>   this can be done with the current XRC.

Either:
1. Reduce the border etc. widths (leading to a "squashed" look)
2. Use a "tabbed" style inside of each current tab to reduce the
required screen size.
3. Hide some of the functionality behind an "advanced" button
4. ?? No Idea :-)

> I'm not going to change the user interface a lot.
> The texts should be stable until the next release, so it's a good time
> to translate.

Small changes only, especially as I go through the code for the unicode
issues. SetStatusText is one routine that I recall with translations
required now.

> Before everybody starts to translate hugin into his favorite language, could
> one (or more) native speakers check my english? I'm quite sure that some
> texts sound a bit strange, or could be written more concisely.

Will do

regards,
Doug