[ptx] beta version available for pano12.dll with improved optimizer

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Mon May 17 20:58:20 BST 2004

rj.littlefield at computer.org wrote:

> Terje,
>
> I think your basic problem was a glitch in control point definitions.
> Your Line #4 in lens-7.1mm.ptp looks to include two separate lines --
> like you accidentally forgot to do a New Line when entering the points.
> I deleted the spare points from Line #4 and then got much improved

Ouch!!! I did suspect something like this, and looked for it without
finding anything. :-(

Thanks a lot!

> results.  I also enabled pitch & roll optimization, to allow
> compensating for minor errors in camera positioning.  Final ACPD was
> 1.103 and rendered image looks very good -- nice straight lines.
>
> Please check this out yourself and see if helps.

I took the extra #4 lines and converted them to a new #11, this resulted
in another very good result.

It is interesting though that when I did the same conversion (all lines
into t1/t2 pairs) as I previously described, I got relatively big
changes in lens parameters, from:

   0.023, -0.0687, 0.0316

to:

   0.0267, -0,082, 0.0469

However, both triplets describe pretty much the same type gullwing
distortion, and the resulting images are both pretty good, so I won't
worry to much :-)

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>