[ptx] Questions on Lowe's SIFT algorithm

Xianyong Fang fangxianyong at cad.zju.edu.cn
Sun May 16 02:17:39 BST 2004

Sebastian,

    I have uploaded the test images in the public ftp server of our laboratory. The ftp address is 210.32.131.214. Please login in anonymous way and check the directory:\incoming\SIFT_TestImages\. I have uploaded four image pairs. If you can not download them, please let me know and I will sent them to you by email.

    As you said, for panorama images, it is okay. Maybe Lowe purposely omitts some details. Or maybe there indeed exist some shortcomings for Lowe's SIFT algorithm. As far as I know, there are really few algorithms can be always strong on image processing. So maybe interaction is needed in the finally implementation.

    To PCA-SIFT, please check this address:http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~yke/pcasift/. It is quite new but according to my implementation (actually I just inserted the pca-implementaion into my originally program) it is hard to say that it is more robust than Lowe's, esp. to rotated and scaled images.

	To my code, most of it is copied from your implementation,;). The only modification I applied is from PCA-SIFT which takes the scale shift into consideration when doing low contrast threasholding. But this improves the quality little according to my observation.

    You really do a wonderful job. I will test your implementation when you upload it. But actually I am afraid that you need us to try hugin after running your code. I feel it is not convienent and I am not familar with hugin,*-*.

Xianyong