[ptx] Re: Enblend suggestion: focus score weighting

Andrew C Mihal mihal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 17 20:30:06 BST 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:

> I have already thought about something like that, maybe correlating small
> area patches and using only one patch if the correlation coefficient is too
> low.

What if the ghost is partially inside the overlap area and partially
outside the overlap area? Then I think you want to keep it. But how to
identify the boundary of the ghost? This seems very hard. Then there are
problems like two ghosts that are partially-in, partially-out, and also
overlap themselves. Then what?

> Something else: I have worked on vigra's import/export module to support
> arbitrary image types with alpha channel, and the hugin cvs contains
> functions to to this, in case you're interested in that.

Excellent. I think the only remaining piece is a file-backed image class
and corresponding accessors. Enblend can't afford to have the entire image
in memory I think. I'll go through my equations again and see if I really
need this, and how much memory it would acutally cost in the worst-case
through the entire program.

My plan is to use the image loader you described, and return the resulting
combination of mask image and regular image as a boost variant. Then the
main blending loop will be a templatized visitor on that variant. I want
to have exactly one codebase for all of the image types. Thoughts?
Feedback?

Andrew

Andrew Mihal
www-cad.eecs.berkeley.edu/~mihal