[ptx] Re: Hugin windows snapshot hugin_2004_07_03-13_53_win32.zip with autopano

Ian Sydenham ian_sydenham at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 15:03:42 BST 2004

Ian Sydenham wrote:
> Have any windows users found a way to make the autopano button (any
> autopano) work with the latest hugin snapshot?

I've now managed to do this with both autopano-sift1.4, and
autopano1.03beta.

For anyone else brave enough to attempt it the two script files I used
are available at:
for autopano1.03beta:
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~rq4b-sydn/Panorama/win-autopano1.03-cmdline.vbs

for autopano-sift1.4:
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~rq4b-sydn/Panorama/win-autopano-sift-cmdline.vbs

To use the script files make sure that the autopano exe files are in a
directory without any spaces in the path, copy the relevant script
file to same directory, then modify the registry entries so that hugin
opens the correct file. (Registry value
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\hugin\Autopano\AutopanoExe).
A limitation is that the total length of the full path\filename for
all files must be less than about 2000 characters.
Both script files use a default image size of 1300, this can be
changed fairly easily in the script, or by adding an -s number option
to the registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\hugin\Autopano\Args
(eg -s 800).
Both scripts still accept drag and drop of image files, but are much
simplified from the earlier ones and do not check much.

*Hugin snapshot* bugs/recommendations that I have identified as part
of this process:
1. The path to the autopano command or script file must not contain a
space. Strangely this problem is not there when calling enblend from
hugin so I expect that there is some difference in the way hugin calls
enblend and autopano.
2. After successfully importing the identified control points into the
hugin project an error message is displayed stating that it is not
possible:
ERROR: (AutoCtrlPointCreator.cpp:90) automatch():Sorry, autopano
calling under windows not supported out of the box yet ...
Even though it has done the task.
3. The file selection box for the first time the autopano button is
used defaults to looking for a *.exe file. It would be good to include
  *.vbs or *.cmd as well.
4. After reading the control points from the generated autopano file
(autopano_result.pto) the file is not deleted. It would be best if it
did so that the file could not be read again accidentally if the
script throws an error and fails to generate a new file (as it did for
me a few times during testing)
5. As stated in the autopano1.03beta comments hugin does not read
correctly control point pairs generated by autopano1.03beta. Each -c
line in the .pto file generated by autopano1.03beta needs to be
assumed to have a "t0" control point type (normal)

*autopano1.03beta* bugs
1. When using autopano1.03beta the control points are all imported
into the hugin project, but they do not have a defined control point
type. This leads to very weird optimised solutions (as detailed in an
earlier post). The work around for now is that every generated control
point needs to be edited and its control point type defined as
"normal" (t0).This change is included in the script file above. A
better solution would be for the next version of autopano to include
t0 at the end of every control point line in the file generated for
hugin, or for hugin to assume t0 for any control point pair not
specifically defined.

regards,

Ian Sydenham