[ptx] Choosing a cross-platform toolkit

Daniel Griscom griscom at suitable.com
Sat Jan 17 15:09:17 GMT 2004

At 3:32 AM +0100 1/17/04, Sebastian Nowozin wrote:
>On the long term, I think it may be better to leave wxWindows and turn to
>something like GTK+ or even GTK# for the GUI while using a very portable C++
>library and utilities as backend without any non-trivial dependancies. I have
>done some work with GTK# now and it is really maturing and such a pleasure to
>program with. But this is just a suggestion.

Pardon this lurker's interjection, but the doc I saw on the GTK site
seems to say that Mac OS X users would have to run applications based
on GTK+ from within the X Window system; GTK+ apps can't be run as
native Mac applications. There's a project to port GTK 1.2 to OS X,
but I'm guessing you all would prefer to use GTK 2.0.

I'd love to see your project become the de facto panorama stitcher on
many platforms, but the vast majority of Mac users (as Windows users)
don't know about X Windows, and wouldn't be able to run an X
Windows-based app. Even those that can would find it unwieldy, having
to work with two different windowing systems. Since your target
audience is photographers rather than Unix pros, I think you'd be
greatly limiting who could use it.

I'm unlikely to ever contribute to the project (except as a critic),
but as an end-user I'd love to see it based on a toolkit that could
generate a native Mac (and Win) application.

Thanks,
Dan

--
Daniel T. Griscom           Work:  (781) 665-0053
Suitable Systems            Fax:   (781) 665-7106
152 Cochrane Street         griscom at suitable.com
Melrose, MA 02176-1433      http://www.suitable.com/