[ptx] automatch: another attempt at semi-automatic panorama stitching

Ed Halley ed at halley.cc
Sun Jan 4 19:42:14 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 14:29, Bruno Postle wrote:
> So I've written a proof-of-concept tool that implements my "angular
> distance" technique of automatically detecting control points:
>
> It outputs a hugin compatible script file:
>
>     http://bugbear.blackfish.org.uk/~bruno/distance/foo.pto

So this sounds like a good candidate for a feature launched on the
Images tab of Hugin, when it gets to that stage of implementation.  The
user would collect the images and then push an "auto-arrange" button on
the Images tab or the Preview panel.  Unless the images are fisheye,
Hugin will have already gotten the HFOV and just needs to approximate
the yaw/pitch/roll for each image.

Does the method require any knowledge of the ultimate final projection
(equirectangular, etc.)?  In other words, does projection choice affect
the automatic discovery and selection of match control point features?
If so, I think we're going to have to move the user's choice of
projection somewhere else, since it's currently chosen on the last tab
of an otherwise linear workflow.

--
[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]