[ptx] Any need for automatic batch correction of barrel and pincusion distorsion?

Mattias traesket at glocalnet.net
Sat Dec 18 11:07:06 GMT 2004

Hi!

I have made a quick hack to automatically correct barrel and pincusion
distorsion in images taken by a digital camera.

The concept is simple:
1: Read the EXIF tag embedded in the image.
2: Use the tag "FOCAL LENGTH" to pick a set of correction parameters
from a correction table specific for the camera/lens.
3: Use the parameters to correct the image.

The beauty in this is that it can be done in batch mode. You can take
200 pictures and feed the images to a script that processes the images
for you. Since all information needed to correct each image is embedded
in the image, it is simple. Once you have determined the correction
table for your camera/lens, of course.

I recently used the hack to correct a large number of images from an
indoors photo job I did. And it was of great value to me.

Now, I have only made a hack. It is kind of a concept demonstrator. But
it works great.
It needs further work. It should also consider that object distance
affects the distorsion somewhat.

I wonder, is there anyone else but me that could find use for this kind
of program?

I am no wizard in optics... but know some of the physics, and I could
use some expert tips in the future.

Any suggestions on any other maillists I should post this on?

Regards:
Mattias S