[ptx] Comments&questions

Davide Capodaglio davidecapod at inwind.it
Wed Dec 1 08:24:09 GMT 2004

Hello everybody,
I just installed hugin-0.4 (hugin_2004_10_15_11_20.tgz snapshot) after having
used the previous one (hugin-0.4pre) for a while and I would like to share some
impressions.
First note: installation... a real pain... in my distro (mandrake 10.0) wxGTK
was coming without xrc, so I decided to build 2.4.2 from source following your
instructions; for the main package no problem, but xrc wasn't compiling at
all... after modifying the Makefile and renaming the final .so I succeded, but
why don't use 2.5 if it works or give advices in the README/INSTALL? Then I
downloaded & installed also from source all other dependancies (fftw, vigra ecc)
but with last hugin I had another problem: the build was ok but hugin could not
find splash.png on start; I discovered that he was searching it in
/usr/local/hugin/xrc (hardcoded in sources!) while it was in
/usr/local/share/hugin/xrc, so I made a symlink.
Now some questions: why autopano and panosifter included in hugin are not usable
inside the program? I also tried PTGUI and I think that the "select center"
function in the panorama preview would be useful... why not include it also in
hugin?
If I'm not wrong in PTGUI it is possible to place two points in the same image
for vert/horiz line, while in hugin they can't.
The last thing: what is the best stitcher? PTStitcher or nona? and the best
autopano? kolor/sift/autopano/panosifter?

Although hugin is a great piece of software...

Bye
Davide