[ptx] hugin and enblend?

Emmanuel Favre-Nicolin emmanuel at favre-nicolin.net
Sun Aug 29 10:51:48 BST 2004

Le dimanche 29 Août 2004 02:57, Rob Park a écrit :
> Hello everybody, I am new to this list, and fairly new to panorama
> stitching in general.
>
> I use linux, and so far I've been somewhat frustrated with the state of
> panorama-creation tools on linux.

You shouldn't now as you discovered hugin (I love it!)

> It seems that every website I find
> that has information is at least 2 years out of date (pages that are
> marked with a 'last updated' tag in the footer invariably have dates
> from 2001 to 2003). Especially that Helmut Dersch guy, did he fall of
> the face of the earth in 2001 or what?
>
> Anyway, I've been using hugin with mixed results. It seems that hugin is
> very good at lining up the images, correcting for lens distortion, etc,
> but I very often get really ugly stitch lines. I know that I can correct
> the stitch lines myself in the Gimp, as I am accustomed to using the
> Pandora tool (which is essentially hand-hacking the panorama together
> yourself, manually), but I have a painful time importing hugin panoramas
> into the gimp, as tif2xcf doesn't work with gimp 2.0 (maybe I'm doing
> something wrong?).

what version of hugin do you use?
What kind of ugly stitch lines do you mean?? Is due to vignetting with your
camera? (it's normally fixed by enblend)

> Then I found out about enblend, and tried it, but I just don't see any
> difference between what enblend produces and what hugin produces as
> output. They are almost identical! Am I missing something here? Are
> there any good tutorials on how to properly use these tools?
>
> Also, is there a good place to go to get the latest version of all this
> software? (hugin, enblend, autopano, panotools, etc). Like I said, all
> the websites are out of date, so I'm not sure if I'm using the latest
> versions or not.

If you want to have the most up-to-date version of hugin, you probably have to
download the cvs version and compile it yourself (depending on which linux
distribution you have, you can find some relatively up-to-date version of
hugin...).

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/download/