contour based seaming [Re: [PanoTools] Re: Panorama stitchers, feathering, seaming etc..]

Pablo d'Angelo pablo at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Thu Oct 30 17:01:01 GMT 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Rob Rodgers wrote:

> It hadn't even occurred to me to try and use the output to PTStitcher to do
> this, but that's an excellent idea.  Actually, just writing a Photoshop
> plugin is
> even simpler/better..

and maybe with sourcecode so that its possible to create a gimp version
as well :)

My first, quick thought about an algorithm to calculate a suitable seam
border was:

1. calculate overlap: overlap = mask(img1) & mask(img2);
2. do your favorite edge detection algorithm on the overlap regions
4. combine booth overlap edge images. (Either with a sum. or maybe even
   better with a logical AND, or multiplication.).
5. find the path though that image that walks on the borders, by minimizing
   the error function based on the combined edge image build in step 4
6. calculate new masks based on the borders just found

This algorithm differs from the other ones that it needs quite accurately
registred pictures, and does not try to cover a bad registration...

But it might avoid cutting people in halfs, or creating ghosts.