some questions about Linux

Pablo d'Angelo pablo at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Fri Oct 10 10:08:36 BST 2003

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Bruno Postle wrote:

> On Fri 10-Oct-2003 at 11:08:05AM +0800, ylzhao at vip.sina.com wrote:
> >
> > o  I have installed Red Hat Linux 9 on my PC just now.
>
> >   o I want to install wxWindows2.4.2 on Linux, it seems that
> >     only www.wxWindows.org has it to be downloaded. And I find
> >     that there are wxWindows-2.4.2.rpm and wxWindows-2.4.2-
> >     devel.rpm and others, what package should I download?
>
> If you are going to use redhat-9, I strongly recommend either using
> freshrpms or fedora to get these extra RPM packages:
>
>     http://www.fedora.us/index-main.html
>     http://www.freshrpms.net/
>
> They have wxGTK, wxGTK-devel & wxGTK-xrc packages, which you will
> need to get hugin to work.
>
> (Ooo, I just noticed that Fedora have wxGTK2 packages, I wonder if
> hugin will work with GTK2?)

I think wxWindows is not completly ported to GTK2, at least I remember
reading it. if the port is now complete it should hopefully work...

But I'm a bit dissapointed by wxWindows cross platfrom behaviour, so
there might be some problems. Too many platform idiosyncrasies make
their way into the users code, so that one can't expect an application
to work on a new platform out of the box, even if only wxwindows
functoins are used.

It'll be interesting to see what needs to be changed to get a working
MAC version of hugin :)