My comments, questions and enhancements

thp poehler at web.de
Mon Nov 10 15:16:23 GMT 2003

Hi all.

First I want to introduce myself shortly, as this is my first posting to
this mailing list. I have been using Photovista Panorama for quite a
while, because it turned out to be the best choice for me about a year ago.
At that time I was testing a number of stitching programs and I found
that the PanoTools where to cumbersome to use. Although I was amazed by
the perfect panos that were possible using the PanoTools I decided to
use a more 'strightforward' tool. So I came to using PV because it was
the tool that worked quite good in stitching and it dealt best with
'ghost images'.
Now a year later my requirements have raised. Furthermore I have a
number of 'panorama raw data' that is far away from being perfectly
shot. So now I started a new research on Panorama Tools and I think
hugin is the favourite on the throne.
Here's a small gallery where I compared different tools (the texts are
in german): http://www.turmberg18.de/QV/Panotest/. It's not ready yet,
there are some hugin panos missing.

Now I'm coming to the actual reason for this posting. I have been using
the current Hugin version this weekend and I was delighted. I think it's
getting grown-up to a very handy, easy to use tool. Especially the
'anchor spot' is GREAT! Thank's a lot, Pablo!

While using hugin some questions raised and I have some enhancement
proposals:

(1) The druid (btw i's a great name for that) seems not to work
properly. It always says that it finds no problems with my pano. What's
going on here?

(2) It's not possibel to change the sort order once the images are
loaded. You have to delete them and open one by one. That's not too bad,
but it's a bit annoying.

(3) It should be possible to save the lens parameters. I always have to
change the focal length to 34 mm.

(4) The degree of view is calculated for landscape images. That means
when I set the focal length to 34 mm, a degree of view of 55,795 is
calculated. This is not true fpr images in portrait mode. This could be
solved with (3) above.

(5) Bug? Whenever I optimive view (v) I get a nearly perfect image with
sensational deviation values far below 0! But this is the result of the
optimized focal length of 1000mm. Any ideas?

(6) How should one use the presets in the Optimizer pane? Is the order
siomething like a radmap, i.e. fist use 'Positions', then 'Positions an
View, and so on?

I think that were the most important things for now. ;)

Sorry, for the rather longish mail
--Thomas