Druid [Re: CVS has new feature - my first major checking]

Ed Halley ed at halley.cc
Sat Nov 1 12:28:15 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 05:39, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
> Great!
> Maybe we could also add some button or something that tries to fix
> the problem. if its easy to do, like recalculating the image size.

I thought of this, and would like to tackle it.  I think the best I can
do would be to switch them to the right tab to get started.  If the task
truly IS a one-button fix, then perhaps we can add a "do it for me"
button inside the druid.

> - "panoramas" with one image are sometimes useful, like in the
>   "Simulating an architectural projection" tutorial on the hugin
>   homepage.

There are a lot of things that "pros" will do which the Druid won't be
able to help.  I don't want to confuse newbies with two-way advice,
where one tip is for pros.  Rules can be broken but you need to know the
rules before you can break them.

> - a detection if an image has no connection to any of the other
>   image would be nice. needs a loop over all images.

Good idea.

> In one comment you write:
>
> +       //TODO: optimizing for different projection from final
> hmm, sometimes I used this for partial panoramas, where I created a
> cylindrical panorama, but wanted to use vertical / horizontal control points
> as defined by a rectangular output image. Hmm. well. probably an obstruse
> usage :)
>
> Should changing the "projection for optimizing" in the Optimizer tab also
> change the projection in panorama settings?

Not it it's useful to the "pro" to keep them separate.  But I don't yet
understand your above pro method.  Pros can ignore the Druid's advice.

> As an implementation note:
>
> Maybe it would be better to create a class DruidHint, instead of keeping
> the hints in a struct. DruidHint could be asked if it found a problem,
> giving it the Panorama object. It then could also get an (optional)
> fixProblem() member function that tries to fix the problem.

Agreed.  Make it work.  Make it work right.  Make it work cleanly.  This
was just a draft.  I also wanted to pull the advice and logic out to
another .cpp.

> on each update, iteration over a list of all druids (sorted in order of
> importance) could be used to define a set of current DruidHints. Either
> the first one could be shown, or the user could get a up/down button to show
> more.. but multiple hints could be overkill.

Maybe.  But later.

--
[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]