hugin state

Yili Zhao ylzhao at vip.sina.com
Thu Aug 28 20:40:52 BST 2003

Hi,
  I remember that the discussion of auto match control points previously. Now, PTGui has added an auto match function, and I find that it works well mostly. Does hugin intend to add this feature?
  Below is Joost said:
> In PTGui 2.8
> Following the recent discussions on the list, this version adds a
> (highly experimental) automatic control point placement function.
> Enable it with the 'auto' button at the bottom of the control point tab.Immediately after you place the first
> point of a control point pair (with this function enabled),
> PTGui will search for a matching point in the other image.

> The matching is done using a simple (inefficient) correlation algorithm.
> First, PTGui warps a square area around the control point into the other image's perspective,
> to correct for rotation and edge distortion in wider angle images.
> The expected control point location is calculated (using the current image positioning,
> similar to the Auto Jump function).
> Next, the area around the expected control point location is searched for a matching pattern.
> If a match is found and its score is high enough, a control point will be added.

> In PTGui 3.0 beta
> Big improvement in the pattern matching algorithm! Once there are two or
> more control point pairs between two images, the Auto Add feature will
> perform a 'partial optimization' just before each pattern matching process.

> This partial optimization optimizes the positioning of the second image
> relative to the first, using only the control points of these two images.
> This optimized positioning is used to feed the pattern matching algorithm
> (the actual project is not changed by the optimization).

> As a result, it sort of 'learns' from each new control point you add and
> becomes quite accurate after 3 control points. Because of the higher
> accuracy it is much faster too, since correlation can be restricted to a
> smaller area.

  May Kai-Uwe send me offline an tarball please? I consult the wxWindows's document, and it says in order to compile it use MinGW, instead of Cygwin, I should install MSYS: "If using MinGW, you can download the add-on MSYS package to
provide Unix-like tools that you'll need to build wxWindows." I will try to compile it in the following days.

  Sorry for the long description.

Best Regards.
Yili