state of wx_port layout

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Wed Apr 16 21:48:34 BST 2003

Kai-Uwe,

Really nice to see that a native PTGui is starting to take shape. Pls.
forive me -- I am currently involved in an application for a second
hobby of mine, scuba diving. Once finished, I'd love to join you guys in
development (and I guess you don't mind me jumping in ;) ).

Regarding CVS. I personally do prefer a GUI, as it makes things such as
an overview of modified & non-CVS files, a quick diff, etc so much more
comfortable.

I tried a few for Linux and would recommend them in this order (first
one is IMHO best):
- TKCVS (Tk)
- Cervisia (Qt. Looks nice but is IMO a bit cumbersome to work with)
- GCVS (GTK. Seems a hassle to link to remote CVS servers. It's the
counter-part of WinCVS, so you'd only have to learn one UI...)

For a decent diff, I either use emacs or, recently more preferred,
Tkdiff, which came with TKCVS.

For Windows (I guess this is as important for you & your cross-developm
ent), I'm using WinCVS. That's the brother of GCVS, but as more people
seem using it, development is more active and it appears far more
useable than GCVS.

Alternatively, emacs handles CVS. While not really a GUI, I guess it's
quite nice to have CVS support in your editor. Haven't tried that yet...

Enjoy,
HaJo

PS: Just had a look at the GUI in wxWindows, Linux. Compiled flawlessly
(after installing wxWindows ;) ) & looks promising!