panoramas.

Bruno Postle bruno@postle.net
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:11:56 +0100

On Sun 14-Apr-2002 at 12:41:34 -0700, Ianiv Schweber wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 10:24:19PM +0300, Martin 'pisi' Paljak wrote:
> > On Sun 14-Apr-2002 at 12:03:32 -0700, Ianiv Schweber wrote:
> >
> > A toolkit is needed I guess. Qt, If I'm not mistaken, is not-as-free
> > as gtk, but... For example, I'd even suggest Athena widgets :) I may
> > say I like them even... for some strange and nostalgic reason..
>
> I like Qt, it even works on OSX and Windows. If we use it then we will
> have to use c++ for the gui code.

Not having any skills in this area (aside from playing around with
glade), I don't have a technical opinion :-)

As a user I have a liking both for simple (athena) x-applications that
run everywhere and kde/gnome apps with a recognisable look-and-feel.

Just how easy is it to have a multi-column, multi-row table widget with
scroll-bars and image-thumbnails in table cells for example - without
using one of the higher-level toolkits?

> > > Where is our code repository going to be? Can anyone host a CVS
> > > server or should we create a page in SourceForge?
> >
> > Savannah/sf will help out. savannah is even better I guess (as I've
> > heard faster and with not so many freaky problems as sf)

Savannah looks appropriate and maybe more reliable than sourceforge.

> > > If we are going to have to write the panorama scripts anyway why
> > > do we need a separate file format? Can't we just write a parser
> > > for the existing format?
>
> > First of all, the scripts formats differ a little afaik (practical
> > experience - I have had problems with ptpicker/pteditor/ptgui and
> > script exchange). XML first of all is not so cryptic to edit with
> > your editor, it can be used easily with other applications and it's
> > easy to use it for us also (no need for complex parsesrs etc). And
> > it represents by default the structure of the data as it really is.

Also, with a well designed xml project format, there is room for a
division of labour - The gui tool can be developed concurrently with a
tool for interchange with ptgui and tools for driving ptoptimizer and
ptstitcher.

--
Bruno