[ourfloss] Re: [esocialaction] ChangeUp funding for East Of England FOSS in the VCS project

Chris Bailey chrisbailey at socialrights.org
Wed Aug 31 19:03:51 BST 2005

Hi Malcolm,

It is good to know about this. Thanks! I got the go ahead this afternoon
to install an Asterick (thus) server to set up a VOIP service aimed at
providing an exclusive VOIP service for the East Of England VCS. I am
working with an organisation in Bulgaria that has been installing
Asterick for the NGO sector there and they are doing this for me. But it
will be good to have contact with UK experience in using this to see
what kind of VOIP services we can then develop for the VCS.  Maybe we
can set up an email list to discuss this.

The Circuit Rider conference in October is planning a workshop on VOIP
and also on Community Wireless Broadband. I know you regard them as
rather amateur, but I think you should look at them again and get
involved. They do now do have a central role in the ChangeUp ICT
developments.

I think a lot of things are now beginning to move along the route of
producing "branded" ICT products for the VCS. A VCS Linux distribution,
a VCS VOIP network and, as we discussed, a VCS "Broadband in a a Box"
distribution.

I will be back to you later on on Community Broadband Network. We are
still in the process of selecting a cross section of the Cambridgeshire
VCS to examine their key ICT problems. I am sure this will ultimately
pinpoint broadband Internet problems.

regards,

Chris