[OccupySheffield] CoR 22/6 Assembly Proposal to Meet

marknbarrett at googlemail.com marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 29 19:26:47 GMT 2013

I read here just now that the People's Assembly against the cuts is now taking forward the anti-corporate rhetoric which got discussed when I had the earlier  meeting with John Rees. See references at

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/antiausterity-march-hopes-to-break-iraq-rally-record-8550668.html

Rees showed an interest when I met with him in the idea of a resolution going in to the June 22nd event taking forward the idea of the separation of corporate power from the state and the call for Peoples Assemblies to get set up everywhere.

I think we should propose something from Occupy which could take this aim forward ie the need for a grassroots  Peoples Assembly driven movement that says no to cuts, to the corporate (and corporate finance) driven agenda, to privatisation while also building a resilient long term capacity for the democratisation of all spheres of life. This could be our opportunity to ensure the movement is independent of Union and Labour interference and so forth by emphasising the need for it to be democratically run in all aspects.

I am out of town until 12th April but if people want to get together to discuss such a resolution (which some of us could then take to a Peoples Assembly against the Cuts planning meeting (to which we are invited) I'd be happy to join you. We could also discuss the alternative Peoples Assembly / Occupy Parliament Square plan ..

There is an alternative

Love and Solidarity

Mark
Sent from phone