[OccupySheffield] Two weeks to save legal aid

David Kirkham sheffield.uncut at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Mar 30 20:28:47 GMT 2012

	Hi everyone,

	There’s a horrifying bill steamrolling its way through Parliament at the moment, which – if we allow it to pass – will deny millions of us access to free and vital help when we need it most.

	I’m talking about the Legal Aid Bill, and our fight to protect our democratic right to justice.

	The House of Lords took one look at this appalling bill and came to the same conclusion as us: that it picks on everyone who can’t afford an expensive lawyer, and – ridiculously – that it would end up costing taxpayers more than it saves.

	As a result, the lords made more amendments to this bill than they have to any other. Now we need to make sure the government doesn’t overturn their changes.

	Ask your MP now to urge the Lord Chancellor and the party leaders to stand up for our right to justice and accept the House of Lords’ amendments to the Legal Aid Bill.

	Please don’t abandon the campaign now, at this crucial, final stage.

	Best,

	Sally

	Sally Kosky

	National Officer