[OccupySheffield] Minutes from tonights meeting

Andrea Stone kartoonhead at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 23:21:49 GMT 2012

Hi All,  These are the minutes from tonight's G A, could someone kindly put these on our main web page please. Many Thanks

Andrea

Occupy Sheffield General Assembly Monday 19th March 2012
6.30pm. General Assembly in Small upstairs room at Quaker Meeting House. A good meeting attended by 13 people.
Facilitated by Jean.

Update on World Development Conference Manchester 17th March. An economy for the 99%

9 members from Occupy Sheffield attended
Meetings attended:

Building a solidarity economy: co-operatives and economic justice
Feedback from Oliver, referenced book by Hillary Wainwright, Reclaim the State. Re: Food systems, Food Sovereinty. Ref: Via Campesina- The peaseant way.

A tour through the financial crisis:
Feedback from Jean, Andrea and Symon, referenced video, David Harvey RSA, The great Depression, The crisis of Capitalism (animated Film)

Europe's new movements against the economy of the 1%
Feedback from Jean, Andrea and Symon, Talks from the Indignado's, and a fantastic presentation and talk from Occupy Sheffield's Joe.

Activism and the Law:
Feedback from Jean and Andrea,
Point of interest,Cases which are in the public interest could be filed under a Protective Costs Order. Could be a tactic for resisting the cuts.

There was a strong support for the Occupy Movement.

Announcements

International Day of Co-Operatives meeting
Quaker Meeting House,  Friday 30th March, 6pm-7.30pm, light refreshments available from 5.30pm

March is move your Money Month

Next G A:  Saturday 24th March 3pm, Bank Street Arts, Theme of meeting to be Ideas for Peace in the Park event.

Agenda

Fairness Commision at Sheffield City Council

Events working group meeting held on 16th March at Dove and Rainbow.

Active groups event

Social Network working group

Public G A's

Occupicnic

Pop up action Guerilla working group

Fairness Commision
A Sheffield equality group has been recommended by Sheffield City Council fairness commision, It has been sugested that Occupy Sheffield have a permenant building.

Events Working group
A meeting was held on Friday 16th March in the Dove and Rainbow, attended by 7 Occupy members. Various ideas were discussed, Themed G A, Junk fashion show, Question Time Themed event,etc.
Proposals and Idea's to be discussed further at next G A at Bank Street Arts.

Active Groups Event
To create an event of active groups e.g Ethical Buisnesses, Charities

Social Network working group
To look into making discussion and web page, facebook, work more effectively. Sarah to look into this.

Public G A's
Now the weather is getting warmer we will be looking forward to more public discussions, suggested topic, what is Occupy, what are the objectives, and future of Occupy.

Occupicnic
We will be holding weather permitting our first Occupicnic, Sunday 1st April, Devonshire Green, 2pm. This will coincide with our first event of our pop up Guerilla group.
We will be meeting a 1pm on the 1st April at the bottom of the Moor before the occupic.  Bring seeds to scatter.  Suggested seeds, Marigolds, Babiton Leaves, and any other seeds you wish to plant along the way.

Proposals

Outside Stall, Outreach
Summer pop up festival,
Regional Conference
Local Radio slot

Agenda Item's for next week Monday 26th March Quaker Meeting House 6.30pm

May 1st Action