[OccupySheffield] Please help call for a pause in welfare reform

barriers2bridges at virginmedia.com barriers2bridges at virginmedia.com
Tue Jan 10 22:30:20 GMT 2012

STOP 'DIS-ABLING PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why, why, why, is it, that the status quo remains - to place such a
subordinating label before 'people' as an all-prevailing over generalising
term????

I personally am FED UP (to put it mildly) of being described as inherently
'vulnerable...

If 'PEOPLE' (and yes we're people first) can't be seen as strong, able and
capable of waging a wave of opposition where, the nasty government we live
under, wouldn't no what hit them - then what?

Last May's "hardest hit" rally was inspirational and certainly set the tone
for strong unrelenting opposition to this seemingly illegally rushed
legislation...

We all knew it was coming and in the pipeline and, they'll get away with it
the way they get away with so many other covert manoeuvres - because people
think that by being armchair activists, it will change the course of things
and we'll win?

NO CHANCE!  Why aren't there Uncut actions to draw attention to and
challenge this; why aren't 'people' with additional needs out there in their
thousands, swarming parliament - demanding the right of "due process" rather
than some mamby-pamby, softly softly online thing, where people don't have
to leave home and their comfort zones to block their own livelihoods?

Okay, I've heard there's something happening down in London tomorrow, but
only heard of it the other day and I predict it will be yet another few
hundred down there with banners, stressing how vulnerable and weak we are -
pushing the pitty button; i.e. a half-baked effort, where the damn coalition
won't bat an eye lid!!!!!!

Come on 'PEOPLE' 'STOP 'DIS-ABLING YOURSELVES!

We MUST DO BETTER AND TURN UP THE HEAT - if we're to make a 'real
difference' and don't expect that some well-meaning organisation will do it
for you/us...

Its high time, 'people' with additional needs speak up for themselves and
stop thinking others will do it for them!!!!!!!!

I passionately am of the position that, I'm a mother and woman first before
being visually impaired and, my teenaged son, is a thriving young lad,
before his hearing impairment/partial sight - and yes, we are 'able' to
fight tooth and nail for what is rightfully ours...

I reaeaeally think its a bit too late to just: tell a friend or more to the
point, your MP - they don't give a shit because it won't affect them!

In solidarity AND STRENGTH

Dawn