[OccupySheffield] [OccupySheffieldPrivate] ACTION OUTSIDE THETOWN HALL - JAN 6 - in response to the letter from the Leaderof the Council - Julie Dore

Peter Garbutt petergarbutt at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Jan 5 19:43:33 GMT 2012

Hi all
I think Mick has said it all.
Of course no-one wants to have cuts. The Green Party's manifesto at the general election made clear our very well costed alternatives. Alternatives is a word bandied about by SACA, but rarely with any clothes on it.
And of course we have to demonstrate so that the public can learn about the alternatives, so we will be there with ours, tomorrow. If SACA have some, too, that will be great.
But SCC can do nothing against the cuts. As Mick says, and Jean, it would be illegal to refuse to set a budget. The only way action of this kind could be made to work is if enough councils up and down the country decided to do the same, making it impossible for Pickles' department to create enough teams to take them all over. Even then, he'd pick a few, and make examples of them.
This is an action that was called by SACA, an organisation forged in the hope of bringing together many bodies from all sectors of society affected by the cuts, but mired in the factional in-fighting of the Left and, because of that, alienating many of those individuals and organisations previously untouched by that blight. Many members are still wedded to Labour, believing it to be reclaimable; others are SWP members. These and other tensions within the Alliance lead to decisions which occasionally lack focus.
It's up to us to give that focus.
Peter