[OccupySheffield] The new union

Anna Harris anna at shsh.co.uk
Thu Jan 5 17:36:13 GMT 2012

Hi Rick,

Thanks for this. It's defintely a project I would support.

Though I'm not sure how much change can be achieved by putting pressure on
this government. This is the traditional method of trying to bring changes,
and it has had very little success. I do see that we would have to get
massive membership to really have an effect, which could take several years.

I would see the role of this movement slightly differently, I see its
members as the pioneers of the future society that we want to build. Rather
than putting pressure on the government to change, we build the
alternatives ourselves. Actually this has already begun. There are already
cooperative ventures, community gardens... as Em wrote to the list:
*Workers' and housing co-operatives; co-housing and eco-villages; food
growing and box-schemes; skill-shares and labour exchanges; reuse and
upcycling; squatting; alternative dwelling-places (tents, caravans, huts,
treehouses); truly ethical businesses only (that means ones which give
something to the community and put people and planet before profit);
community-controlled micro-renewable energy sources; sustainable forest
management...*

So I would see the prime task of this union to connect up with these
projects and give them the support they need to flourish and to seed new
ones. This could start straight away, it doesn't have to wait until the
membership has swelled. It would give meaning and purpose to many who are
now for whatever reason, not in paid employment, and it would be
contributing to a creating a future for ourselves and our children.

Let me know your thoughts.

Anna

PS would you allow mw to post this conversation on the Sheffield forum?