[OccupySheffield] Fwd: [Occupy London] info and proposal

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 2 13:24:12 GMT 2012

 >Let’s not forget that our goal is to engage with society, not to recreate
a little societies ourselves. So the question should be: how do we best
engage the 99% in a positive discussion on social, economic and
environmental justice?
+1 Mattia!

> To engage with the 99 per cent the goal certainly isn't to have all pick
a camp to come stay in, but, indeed, solving how to build a social,
environmental and economical alternative for the better.
+1 Raghnild!

*Proposal for Sat's GA*

Following this conversation and following on from John and Raghnild's
proposals for this Sat's GA (on Mayday! thread) may I propose this Sat's GA
is about strategic outreach/engagement, in the sense outlined here by
Mattia. As a good in itself, but also as prep for A. Sheffield and
Frankfurt meetings and B. March thru May transition/strike mobilisations in
UK, Europe and world.

Personally I am beginning to see how, at this point being too focused /
dogmatic on political content will get in way of facilitating the
desperately needed national conversation (and pioneering model of
engagement with the 99) Mattia alludes to. Given the many uncertainties and
crises we now face ( economically, militarily, ecologically, politically
and so forth) don't we need to focus ourselves on a broad strategy for the
next 4-6 months which builds on the success of the movement so far by
linking with and mobilising for the international actions, while also
developing that conversation in the local ( ie local, national, UK-Ireland
and European) contexts. This conversation is essential to engage, raise
awareness and inspiration for the strike / transition while also building
the movement to occupy, transform, re-invent and democratise all aspects of
culture (ie via assemblies and other autonomous alternatives..) and
therefore must be our absolute priority to facilitate.

To repeat I propose this Sat's GA should be the start of the
official conversation within Occupy London on how to engage the 99 this
year in the run up to the days of action and beyond. As such it could touch
upon many points raised in important recent posts
eg

(1) considering, endorsing and finding ways to start practically supporting
the March - May calls
(2) considering setting up sectoral outreach WGs to engage London and
country-wide with eg with union rank and file, union leadership,
church/other religious and community groups, education establishments,
workplaces, unemployed, precarious and diverse other workers, autonomous,
co-operative, eco-community, alternative bank and food sovereignty
projects, student / other campaigns and so forth, in a strategic, commonly
understandable and mutually supportive way - basically to encourage that
conversation. An attempt of mine on the church front is set out below, for
example.
(3) considering on these two topics how best to approach Sheffield and
Frankfurt (on latter see info at
http://www.peoplesassemblies.org/2012/01/querids-companers-amigs-indignads/
 )

*Church Engagement / Occupy 2012
*
“What would Jesus do?” asked a pithy placard at the Occupy the London Stock
Exchange protest recently. It seems rather obvious in a way. For
some the answer was given in another St Paul’s placard, carried by a man
dressed as Jesus “I threw out the money-lenders for a reason”.
Of course we’re not in Jerusalem, nor are we technically in a temple.

But according to David Cameron’s speech to mark the anniversary of the King
James Bible, we have a dire need to “return to Christian morals”,
and we the people should revive “what we stand for” and go back to the
Bible to define ”the kind of society we want to build.”
Some Occupy supporters may agree with some of these sentiments. We are a
‘broad church’ and the Bible, and the Jesus it portrays does contain
a lot of progressive political references. Plus the idea of  reformulating
what we are about as a nation sounds quite democratic.
There is, however, a dissonant note associated with a politician – the
politician - lecturing the masses on returning to Christian morals. As
Luke 16:13 has Jesus himself saying: “No servant can serve two masters..
you cannot serve God and mammon.”
Cameron’s economic nationalism should also grate on Christian souls.

The world needs international co-operation to solve its many problems, and
Christendom was never ‘Little England.’ In fact, for most of its
history it was associated with Europe as a whole. Yet Cameron retreats
pointlessly from the European project just when we should be pulling
together against the dictatorial power of the financial markets.

David Cameron’s visionary idea for Britain was ‘the big society’. Revd
Giles Fraser says “one can imagine Jesus being born in the protest
camp” and the early Christian movement was one of the biggest ‘big society’
movements in history. In a way those hardy souls camping out,
in an effort to transform the system are the closest thing we have to a
functioning global – big – society. Yet Cameron’s government is
legislating to ban political camping!

The energy, practices and idealism Occupy embodies is a potentially huge,
productive motor around which to build a new, enlightened
economy. Yet no major politician has been willing to engage with the
movement on its own terms. All we ever hear from them is words of
demonisation or co-option.

However the church is quite a different matter. As Giles Fraser put it
recently: “Occupy ..  begins .. with the idea that lasting change is
only possible if more people are sucked into the conversation, more of us
educate each other as to the workings and effects of a
dysfunctional economy… Remember the total non-event that was Tony Blair's
Big Conversation? Well, this is how you do it properly”
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/dec/12/occupy-starfish-regenerate-protest

Or, as the Archbishop of Canterbury himself, put it earlier in the year: “A
democracy going beyond populism or majoritarianism but also
beyond a Balkanised focus on the local that fixed in stone a variety of
postcode lotteries; a democracy capable of real argument about
shared needs and hopes and real generosity: any takers?”
http://www.newstatesman.com/uk-politics/2011/06/long-term-government-democracy

It is commonly agreed in Occupy that we need alternative, civic
institutions in order to develop our collective understanding, and
transform society. Unlike the state and the market, civil society does not
yet have a recognised political form, but through the promotion of its
egalitarian Assembly model of decision-making that is exactlyl what many in
Occupy are hoping to create.

Working together, we could we make alternative institutions to develop,
quoting the Archbishop of Canterbury again “a long-term education policy at
every level that will deliver the critical tools for democratic
involvement, not simply skills that serve the economy”.

So, in the spirit of the Christmas season, an interesting question comes to
mind.  Could Occupy and the church join forces in 2012?
In our broken times, with people neglected and the community fabric undone,
a well-organised common endeavour could help revitalise the true spirit of
our culture, and the church, and our ailing political economy.

--
Apathy is Dead !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarider/5254770064/#/photos/solarider/5254770064/lightbox/