[OccupySheffield] Can you tell me what you think about this?

gareth lane gareth50lane at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 18 12:40:44 GMT 2011

Hi im Gary I am involved with ukuncut in Sheffield. I have recently returned
from Occupy London. I think the Inclusiveness of the occupy movement and the
lack of political demands are key to getting the biggest numbers in
Sheffield. I think if we tie our general assemblies in with what is
happening around the world and at home we can attract more people for
example. The Greek and Portuguese general strikes coming up. Anything called
by the OWS or the indignant. There are a lot of students from all over the
world who would love to be involved in the movements at home but are here if
we make it clear we are are part of a global movement. This will bring
people forward. plus the big british trade union meetings being held
in Sheffield in November. In this way we can build a movement that is
inclusive of people outside the traditional "left". I think there is a lot
of potential among the universities at the moment and I know of plans for
university occupations in november to support the public sector general
strike. If we link the 2 together. I think we can have a strong occupation
of the city centre. Im in favour of a weekly meeting preferably on a
saturday. But whatever is good for everyone else. But i do also think that
these events are places we can attract people to our general assembly. Uk
uncut are holding a music and poetry event in a bank
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=180680392004033 and there is also the
pandemic movement starting on the same day
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=114506785307842&ref=ts I do think the
fact that there will be between 10,00-15,000 people protesting on the
streets of sheffield on the 30th of november is the very cold point to aim
the occupation at rain or snow?