[OccupySheffield] Fw: Re: Draft Aims and Objectives

Carolyn Leary carolyn.leary at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 27 21:32:06 GMT 2011

I'm sorry not to have replied sooner and not to be able to attend one of the GAs. I just wanted to share some thoughts on the discussion and do it in the spirit of offering contributions and I am happy if the discussion takes a different direction.
I aree with your draft aims and objectives. I would extend the first one to say
' and its impact on all of us'
This is in order to emphasise that the current level of inequality causes harm to all of us - Richard Wilkinson's work (The Spirit Level) is excellent documentation of the impact of inequalities in relation to key determinants of health and well-being
 eg crime, infant mortality, life expectancy etc (I suspect you may be familiar with his work). It is easily accessible on the Equalities Trust website.

Introducing the notion of harm caused then allows the focus of the discusison to be on how to bring about the repair of that harm.  The literature on Restorative Justice describes scenarios where the state is involved in facilitating the corporate violation of human rights and that the processes of repair involve restitution, compensation, rehabilitation, satisfaction and guarantees of non-recurrence. A first stage is for the corporations and stakeholders with power to acknowledge the reality.  This seems to me to be where the church can play a role - in bearing witness to the excesses of greed and inviting those responsible to come forward and be held accountable.

The more I reflect on the current situation the more evident it is to me that this is now a systemic attack on those
 vulnerable in our society - the strike on Wednesday will be dominated by women Trade Unionists who stand to loose most and the current figures on unemployment, (along with the tuition fees and EMA agenda) are part of not valuing our young people as our greatest resource for the future. A quote from the United Nations

When poverty is added to ethnic or regional inequalities, the grievances that stoke civil violence are compounded. While it may not reach the level of war, the combination of a surging youth population, poverty, urbanization and unemployment has
resulted in increased gang violence in many cities of the
developing world. As one woman poignantly asked during
the Panel’s consultation with civil society organizations in
Africa, “How have we let what should be our greatest asset, youth, become a threat to our security?"
A more secure world: Our shared responsibility. Report of
 the High-level Panel on Threats, Challenges and Change.    United Nations 2004
http://www.un.org/secureworld/report2.pdf

I also found another metaphor which I thought might be useful to find a way of building bridges with the church, to identify what you want them to do
At present, humankind resembles the Titanic—the wealthy play with love and sex on their luxury top decks, trying to protect their riches from the poor who attempt to climb up to them from their miserable lower decks—and all overlook or deny the fact that the entire ship is at risk of sinking. This book ...calls on those with the relevant resources to leave ideology-based identities behind, step up to their “duty to rescue" to redefine love and care, go to the bridge, and contribute with daring new ideas to prevent the ship’s demise.      Evelin Lindner 2010
She continues to talk about
 dignity and humiliation as key concepts for our future.

So I think the church can be called upon to help to deepen our understanding of the situation we are in, through dialogue,and  to bear witness to the excesses of our system and to help formulate, along with all the other stakeholders, a rescue plan for our future. The two key forces that shape the future of humanity are our ability to share the worlds resources and our ability to live together relatively peacefully. We are not doing it well enough.
Carolyn

Carolyn Leary
07725037375