[OccupySheffield] Bishop's Address to Synod

Dave Havard deacondave777 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 18:25:22 GMT 2011

Hi folks,

Here is the link for the bishop's address to synod;
story and summary :
http://www.sheffield.anglican.org/index.php/home/latest-news/29-latest-news/3863-our-economic-system--shaped-by-greed-and-everyone-for-themselves

full text
http://www.sheffield.anglican.org/index.php/home/about-the-bishops/bishop-steven/recent-talksaddresses

dean's address
http://www.sheffield.anglican.org/index.php/home/latest-news/29-latest-news/3864-statement-by-the-dean-of-sheffield-on-the-continuing-demonstration-by-occupy-sheffield-in-the-cathedral-forecourt-november-2011

Blessings,
Deacon Dave

========================

*There is an alternative*

*-Bishop of Sheffield in major speech today*

The Bishop of Sheffield, Dr Steven Croft, said this weekend that the
Church’s voice needed to be heard as the economic crisis continues and
deepens.

Speaking in Doncaster at a meeting of the Sheffield Diocesan Synod on
Saturday (19 November) Dr Croft said: “The Church has a vital contribution
to make to this debate,”  before outlining how key themes of justice and
right priorities have been “forgotten in society at large.”

Dr Croft was clear: “We need to carry once again a message of repentance
and faith.  We are calling for repentance from greed; from foolishness;
from indifference to the poor; from carelessness with resources.

“The way in which society can be renewed now as in previous generations is
through a rediscovery of Christian faith and values which can then inform
the change we need to make.”

Earlier in the morning the Dean of Sheffield, Peter Bradley, had explained
some of the background and implications of the Occupy camp outside
Sheffield Cathedral.

Dr Croft added his voice to that debate in saying: “We are seeing the
beginnings of a popular movement of protest in the Occupy movement around
the world and outside our own Cathedral.  It is a movement which is asking
questions and articulating a sense that something is wrong rather than
providing answers. We may want to agree with the questions which are being
raised whilst disagreeing with the methods of the protestors in raising
them.”

The Bishop said that there needed to be an end to endemic greed and a
culture of selfishness: “Our economic system has been shaped by the ethics
of greed and everyone for themselves.  But that this economic system
contains the seeds of its own destruction.  Greed has led to deregulation
in the interests of profit.  Deregulation and a completely free market
leads to massive borrowing and greater risk.  Spiralling debt leads in turn
to the collapse of the system.”