[OccupySheffield] my details and thoughts

barriers2bridges at virginmedia.com barriers2bridges at virginmedia.com
Mon Nov 7 10:16:04 GMT 2011

Hiya conrades and fellow activists,

Okay, after sitting in at this evening's general assembly - I've got the
'initial statement' off this site.

My immediate thought/comment is: why not take the 'dis/ away and just say
'all abilities' - in my view as a visually impaired person and advocate for
those of us who get labelled on first site, 'dis' takes away from us as
"people) first  and is 'dis-empowering!!

I'm happy we're off to a good start though in making a statement and, if we
can come to some common ground and/or understanding with the people
supported by the cathedral i.e. the community of homeless people - that
would be one small battle we might over come, with the issues we're
highlighting within the broader picture.

I hope to be as proactive as possible, as a voice for some of the most
marginalised communities and 'HARDEST HIT' within this chaotic crisis we've
been thrown into.

I proposed to get the initial statement into the form of a leaflet for
distribution/handing out from the camp, but before I do so - please let me
know your thoughts on just taking out the 'dis...

I would also like to see us raising the awareness to the wider community, of
the reason/basis for the occupation movement, in the form of a rally!

People could speak on behalf of their organisations, communities or personal
experiences of this whole mess we're in and how we have all been affected -
if anything, it would start provoking the wider public and those who don't
understand 'why we are occupying'...

Again, let me know what you think as I won't be able to make every meeting.

If I can help in any other organising/coordinating, please don't hesitate to
get in touch.

I have a lot of experience in collectivism and making meetings/initiatives
coherent and focused, which is what we need to make this thing work.  Our
efferts have so much potential!

Phone: Sheffield, 221 9323 or mob 07854 986-573

In solidarity,

Dawn