[OccupySheffield] Sheffield Cathedral submits bid for lottery money

David Kirkham davidkirkham at live.co.uk
Wed Dec 28 12:10:42 GMT 2011

Sheffield Cathedral submits bid for lottery money
 The cathedral has put together
a bid for £980,000, which includes plans to create a new entrance
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Public views sought on
cathedral
Cathedral aims for
£980,000 grant
Sheffield Cathedral has submitted a
bid for almost £1m to improve access to the Grade I listed building.
Last year an initial grant of £31,900 from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF)
was awarded to help develop the bid.
Canon Simon Cowling, who has led the project, said the church would now wait
until March to hear whether it would be awarded a grant of £980,000.
The church said it hoped to double the number of visitors, if funding was
awarded.
It said it was concentrating its efforts on improving its "access, education
and heritage" as part of the bid to update the building which dates back to
1430.
 The cathedral said the new
entrance would add to the footprint of the existing building
The funding would be used to provide level access to the the existing
entrance on Church Street.
Mr Cowling said the new entrance would create a "definite discreet welcome
area for people".
"This is part of a long-term vision for the cathedral, the first part of
which was realised in May 2007 when we opened the north side of the building,"
he said.
"We won't be changing the character very much at all. It's not a sort of
massive re-ordering of the building, I would describe it as a
refurbishment." http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-16061387

David

Occupy