[OccupySheffield] Unite Community membership/Unemployed/pensioners/disabled/single parents union.

gareth lane gareth50lane at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 27 18:25:41 GMT 2011

Hi all people involved and supporters of Occupy Sheffield
 Id like to add to the discussion regarding recent discussions within
occupy Sheffield. Unite the union has initiated a Community membership to
ensure the most marginalised in society benefit form collective power. for
50p a week. The intention is to build a branch/branches within
Sheffield communities and nationally. Unite have stated
"Unite’s new community membership will offer the unemployed, students and
all those not in employment the opportunity to become part of one of the
most powerful forces for equality in the country.  For just 50p per week,
community members will have access to financial and legal expertise, as
well as the support of up to one and a half million fellow members when
standing up for their local services."
I think we can take this further here in Sheffield by building a branch of
activists supported by Unites finances,  educational facilities
and expertise. We can build a movement that really makes a difference to
peoples lives. By offering skilled support in the job centre active support
at atos interviews. We can run English classes for migrants we can offer
support to pensioners. A union branch that utilises all the skills we have
as individuals for the collective good of the whole community. Based on
democracy and each member being equal we can build a real force for good in
this city and nationally. We want to be a union where the members represent
the intrests of themselves and the 99% as a whole.

An organising meeting is planned for the second week in January. Details
will be announced here in the new year. membership forms will be available
and everyone is welcome to bring ideas about ways to build a strong active
branch. I have a few ideas about initial activity but everything is open
to discussion and debate.
1. City centre stalls to introduce ourselves recruit new members and
explain why people should join the union.
2. Job centre leafleting for the same reasons as above.
3. Community stalls to take the union into communities.
4. visiting potential supportive institutions such as libraries, sure
starts, community groups and charities.
5. To build an Initial Sheffield branch with elected positions whilst
ensuring accountability to all members.

if you cant wait till January to join? you can see some of the benefits
being a unite community member can offer by visiting the unite website.

http://www.unitetheunion.org/pdf/006-foldout-v2.pdf

 I really hope we can take this fantastic opportunity to build something
great together. To build a union that represents everyone and something we
can really be proud to be a part of.

*Solidarity*
 Gareth Lane
gareth50lane at googlemail.com