[OccupySheffield] [Occupy London] Fw: [oh15] Fwd: agenda: unemployed/other workers union

Liam Kirk liamtkirk at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Dec 27 13:39:12 GMT 2011

To Occupy Sheffield, I have written to the City A.M. the newspaper for the City of London Corporation on a matter that affects many claiming Incapacity Benefit and other disability benefits. I would welcome you all to approach your Member of Parliament, if you have one Trade Union representive, Doctor, Newspaper, Welfare Rights Worker and legal representive/lawyer if you feel you are affected by the issues below.
By e-mail to: allister.heath at cityam.com and esteemed others Sunday 4th December 2011 Mr Allister Heath,Editor,City A.M.4th Floor,33 Queen Street,London EC4R 1BR. Dear Mr Heath, RE: “Nick Clegg has got it wrong yet again” City A.M. editorial dated 7thApril 2011 Allister Heath editor claims the City of London is not a closed society in relation to employment. RE: The closed society of Protracted Employment Discrimination in London against Schizophrenics and Manic Depressives (Bi-Polar), sufferers of severe mental illnesses, is unacceptable. RE: Pejorative remarks by My Stuart Fraser the policy chairman of the City of London Corporation in relation to sufferers of mental illness on the 15th November 2011 Thank for publishing in the City A.M. with the slogan “Insanity defence” my recent letter on the 17th November 2011 in relation to the care of the mentally ill in British society. May I have your paper’s indulgence once more on an issue that affects all Shareholders of Companies traded on the London Stock Exchange?  The Occupation of the London Stock Exchange is a peaceful gathering of ordinary people agitated and troubled by the cares of the day which include those who suffer from mental illness. The mentally ill are the third most vulnerable group in society and are routinely discriminated against in relation to employment, housing, accessing sport and health facilities and in consequence of their condition often lose contact with their families suffering extraordinary high levels of estrangement and isolation. The mentally ill are people, someone’s son, daughter, brother or sister, father or mother, husband or wife. The next time you are in a room full of people it is virtually inevitable someone in the room will know someone who is mentally ill. Mental illness affects all walks of society every social class and ethnicity is represented within mental health services. If a close friend suffered a broken arm you would naturally offer your sympathy, if that same friend suffered from a broken mind would you still offer the olive branch of sympathy? Mental Ill health and treatment should be talked about openly and should not be hidden away in a cupboard. This responsibility to talk openly, fairly and compassionately falls upon all channels of the media from television broadcasters to the tabloids up to the Houses of Parliament. Figures taken from the website of the Royal College of Psychiatrists In reveal that in parts of Germany the percentage schizophrenics in employment is sixty per cent (60%) the corresponding figure in London it is six point seven per cent (6.7%). (source: Rates and correlates of employment in people with schizophrenia in the UK, France and Germany BJP 2007, 191:30-37.) The facts speak for themselves in London there is barefaced prejudice by employers against the mentally ill. By the process of extrapolation equates to one million British Citizens institutionalised on welfare. Has Stuart Fraser, the policy chairman of the City of London Corporation commissioned “policies” on pathways in to employment for the mentally ill? If Stuart Fraser has acted then these unfamiliar “policies” have been a failure but the word “failure” is not in the vocabulary of Stuart Fraser. It is the opinion of the writer that the stigma of mental illness should be challenged, it is universally accepted that effective treatments should be available to all and I believe that principle extends to those who suffer from what the public perceive as invisible illnesses. The pernicious effects of unchallenged prejudices in the workplace against the vulnerable mentally ill perpetuates the injustices and inequalities the Occupation of London Stock Exchange is campaigning to put an end to. I would call on the Deputy Prime Minister the Rt. Hon. Nick Clegg to show leadership by reforming the repugnant aspects of The City for it is undeniable that something is rotten at the heart of the City of London Corporation.
Your humble servant, Liam T KirkFloating press officer OLSX(Occupation of the London Stock Exchange),Common Ground adjacent to St Paul’s Cathedral,London EC4M 8AD. Note to Editor: this letter is intended for consideration for publication in the City A.M..To: occupysheffield at email-lists.org; oh15 at googlegroups.com; occupylondon at groupspaces.com