[OccupySheffield] Christmas Bow

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 19 08:58:08 GMT 2011

Hey R'evolutionaries!

@Everyone

Why at Occupy London are we now focusing on a 'big bash' at Xmas. While i
understand the desire to kick back I fear it will backfire. Do we really
want to become a booze filled camp and just mirror the way everyone else in
the country does Christmas ie as a big escape and consumption ?

"I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until
that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom." Matthew
26:29 don't you think we Muslims are onto something with our disciplines?

I believe Occupy/15M is fighting for the Kingdom. But are we there yet? No
FFS therefore no drinking as the Spanish movement rightly insisted from the
start.

@Niel /Everyone

(1) The international on-line meeting ( not a local / city Assembly ) last
night agreed 12th, not 15th May as a global day.

(2) Niel the Putney event is a London / national based idea, which is
inspired by English history particularly 1647 when the Levellers were
betrayed at the Constitution debates at St Marys'. It has been discussed
very positively at 3 separate GAs and was given enthusiastic consensus. The
strategy? Definitely if people wish to make it happen in Jan or Feb,
dressing up in civil war regalia and so forth it and playing on the Giles
Fraser / St Mary's church ( where original debates happened)  connection,
could help to wake many in the UK up. What is proposed is a historic
re-enactment of the debates in the present 21st C context. It's a great
idea and it deserves the support of DA and others, especially as it has
been GA agreed. We failed to get consensus on the democracy statements but
this idea passed easily and for good reason: it's a fab one and will
probably be just the pick-me-up the UK/London movement will need in early
2012.  Also we need to focus the movement on the political system in the
UK, this has been sorely lacking  so far

See our work done in 2006 on the british constitution at
http://www.peopleincommon.org/archive/C421.html

And more info on the Putney idea at
http://www.peoplesassemblies.org/2011/10/river-march-to-putney/

(3) The March call for a European day was also consensed by the GA. Some
more info / ideas at http://www.peoplesassemblies.org/2011/10/march-23rd-25th/

Again, strategy: we need a  pan European action, for lots of reasons
including: leading up to a global day as Occupy Wall Street did O15.

(4) About my involvement in WGs I wish I could be more involved but really
I can't, not without sacrificing my marriage and role as the father of
three, which I won't on for obvious human reasons.

(5) On that note, I feel I am no able to fulfil a decent active role in the
UK Occupy movement, so rather than let people down I will now switch off,
having inputted as much as I am able, hopefully usefully. Aside from an RMT
meeting later this week ( will report back on that) I will no longer input
directly here. That said, I will continue to try and develop the Peoples
Assemblies site and the international assemblies list when I can and also
will work hard to reach out to churches and other religious institutions to
ask for their  support inbuilding up new civil institutions. And, hopefully
i will be able to support the movement in other ways too.

I wish everyone the best of luck with Occupy for the rest of 2011 and 2012.

Mark

--
Apathy is Dead !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarider/5254770064/#/photos/solarider/5254770064/lightbox/