[OccupySheffield] The 2nd OCCUPY MOVEMENT National Assembly (Edinburgh, Scotland) - 16/12/11-18/12/11 Invite - timetable - feedback

chakan hislop chakanhislop at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 20:03:28 GMT 2011

Hi Everyone, you are formally invited to the 2nd OCCUPY NATIONAL
ASSEMBLY... The 2nd time Occupy camps from the UK will be meeting wo share
experiences, skill share and set national agendas and cooperation
protocols...

Please open the timetable attached (attached is an xls and ods version) and
then read through the email below...

DATE: Friday 16/12/11 - Sunday 18/12/11 -

We can receive guests from Wednesday and

Friday is an optional date for those very pressed for time

Location: Newly occupied People Cafe, 3 Bristo square

The idea is that each camp send 2 or 3 delegates for the Friday to Sunday
conference ... (i believe there will be some travel subsidy available)

*
*

*Location: The newly Occupied People's Cafe - formerly known as the Forest
Café*http://peoplescafe.noflag.org.uk/**

* *

Due to Scottish adverse weather conditions, we thought it may be an idea to
sleep a large percentage of the delegates in the building, which is also
the location where we will be holding the workshops and conferences.  The
space in a very central location is large enough to sleep 60-70 people, and
has a kitchen, and several areas to hold meetings.  We also have space at
the outdoor Occupy Camp (for those who can hack the cold weather), and will
come up with several other spill over places if need be...

* *

* *

*Meeting Components TBC – (ref: Timetable)*

Meeting 1: brief statements by occupations on what's been happening since
last
meeting (e.g. squats, legal issues, N30 participation, D15 feedback if
applicable etc.).– Filmed / Streamed

Meeting 2: Saturday Consensus meeting about remaining workshop subject
matters – 5 Available slots –ideally we will be able to get people’s ideas
before the event.

Submissions of ideas for national statement.

Meeting 3: Workshop about occupy and Outreach to rank and file workers and
organisation building from Trade Unionists

Meeting 4: To be decided

Meeting 5: To be decided

Meeting 6: To be decided

Meeting 7: To be decided

Meeting 8: Meeting related To National Statement the creation of 1.

Ideas for workshops:

* Workshop about gaining Council and Political support as well as
canvassing and lobbying tools.

* Occupy identity: how to engage the occupy movement in areas of faith
(moral arm, e.g. hold assemblies in churches), workplace (economic arm,
e.g. N30) and issue-based campaigns (political arm, e.g. environmental
issues).
* Occupy strategy: tactics and strategies for (a) informing the public
(getting our message out, e.g. direct action versus other methods), (b)
building strength (linking with allied groups, e.g. issues of autonomy)
and (c) solving the problem (coming up with solutions to the current
crises, e.g. joint statements, socioeconomic restructuring etc.).

Each meeting can also be broken into several breakout sessions

*Friday Excursions (ref: timetable)*

* *

*St Andrew’s Square – *The Original Edinburgh Occupation Site (
http://occupyedinburgh.org/)

Billesden Glen – (25 mins away from central Edinburgh) The Longest running
protest camp in Scotland, which contains tree house living spaces and a
host of protest innovations (http://www.bilstonglen-abs.org.uk/)

*Equipment Available:*

Hi-Spec Projector for presentations, Film showings.

Free Wireless for all.

Electricity points for recharges.

* *

*Services Available:*

Latest security updates for Laptops

*In-House Programmed Activities*

These will take place in the Peoples Cafe the form of open debates, film
and discussions with possibly some comedy and performance included... More
information soon

*Entertainment:*

As we wish to separate the working environment from the entertainment we
have chosen to organise several offsite excursions for those who wish to
partake off-site.  The On-site area will be governed by our safer spaces
policy as well as a noise control to allow delegates lots of space for
conversations and later on noise levels conducive to sleep.

Several choices of Offsite entertainment (within easy walking distance)
will be given for people who wish to sample Edinburgh nightlife and
cultural scene, all efforts will be made to organise free or reduced entry
for these events.

*Other ideas TBC byearly next week.*

Occupy Times to be invited down for the weekend to create a national
segment (we have documentary photographer available.)

Content to be produced for all the UK national Occupy Facebook websites
(this includes live FB feeds of updates about what is going on.)

People from International Occupy Camps will be invited for the weekend
(they may have a subsidy allocated)

*
*

*YOUR IDEAS!*

Please feedback any questions or ideas you may want to suggest....

*
*

*PEOPLE REQUIRED*

*
*

If you would like to come up to help us to organise the conference we will
be happy to receive and accommodate you (indoors) from Monday AM onwards..
We are specifically looking for people with organisational skills as well
as people that can help to develop media and content ideas...

Speak soon... chakan ;)

below is my phone number for those who would like more information...
please forward this to people in your group who may be interested in
turning up and get back to us with info on your possible attendance as soon
as possible.... as subsidised spaces are limited..

--
Chakan Hislop
(Colab International)