[OccupySheffield] Fwd: [info at occupysheffield.org.uk: Occupy Sheffield Statement – 8th December 2011]

Chris chrisc at indymedia.org.uk
Thu Dec 8 12:40:24 GMT 2011

Hi

The following has just been published on the web site:

- https://occupysheffield.org/2011/12/08/statement-8-dec/

All the best

Chris

----- Forwarded message from Occupy Sheffield <info at occupysheffield.org.uk> -----

Yesterday Occupy Sheffield became the first English camp in the global
Occupy Movement to gain support from their local Council.  At their
December meeting, Sheffield Councillors debated with protesters and
members of the public, ultimately agreeing the attached Motion in
support of the protesters.  The original motion proposed Green Party
Councillors Jillian Creasy and Rob Murphy, and was heavily amended by
Labour Councillor and leader of Sheffield Council Julie Dore.

As part of our continuing activities to draw attention to global
inequality and the corrupting power of big money on our democracy, this
week marks one month of protest, discussion and occupation on the city
streets.

Following a trying week, with disagreements with the Cathedral
unfortunately played out in local media, Occupy Sheffield protesters
received backing from the Council, to have a fresh mandate for
constructive discussions with Cathedral management, and for continuing
our vital work as part of the global Movement.

We look forward to further meetings with the Dean and the Cathedral
management team to ensure that the Archer Project can continue its vital
work with the disadvantaged. We reiterate that we are willing to
temporarily reconfigure the camp to ensure that we do not impair the
financial activities of the Archer Project or the Cathedral. We intend
to seek clarification from the Cathedral as to whether it's primary
activities are financial or social.

Although Occupy Sheffield welcomes most of the sentiments expressed in
the council resolution, we think they need to act in a way more
befitting of adults acting with the entrusted power of their electorate
and it's no surprise that we're in the position we're in if the juvenile
culture which prevailed yesterday is the norm for decision making in
this country. The Green Party motion was amended by means of deleting
the whole of it and inserting a thoroughly partisan piece of politicking
by the ruling Labour group which gives the illusion of supporting Occupy
Sheffield whilst actually hijacking the occasion with the assumption
that Labour must be our movement's party of choice.  In order to pass
this less than illustrious motion, the council had to suspend their own
constitution!  Occupy Sheffield firmly believes that the need for an
alternative approach to decision making at the local level is a key
component in redefining the relationship between the individual,
corporations and the state.

We are also disappointed the council seemed to give weight to the
Dean's unsubstantiated comments at part f of the council's statement;
neither the Dean, Peter Bradley, nor any other representative from the
Cathedral attended this full council meeting.  In contrast, at least a
dozen supporters of the movement did.  It is therefore difficult to see
why the Peter Bradley's word carries more weight than ours, when the
council leader herself admitted she could not verify his comments, and
that matters between the Cathedral and the camp were exactly that; they
do not involve the council.

As always, we welcome all interested members of the public to our daily
General Assemblies at 6.30pm or our new weekly Public Assemblies,
Saturday's at midday. Furthermore, we also urge members of the public to
attend a council meeting such as the one yesterday, so that they can be
in a position of full knowledge as to the degree to which point-scoring
and back-biting taint their local politics.

There is no rule which says that a democratic system be one of trench
warfare between intransigent and implacable foes. This is to all our
detriment and allows those interests which would act without societal
conscience to flourish.

Our system of consensual democracy is both productive and fair: we
believe that this is more what 21st century democracy should look like,
than an ongoing bunfight. Come and join us, to tell us what change you
would like to see, and become part of making a better, fairer world.

COUNCIL STATEMENT IN FULL:

That this Council:

(a) Notes that the Occupy Movement both in Britain and internationally
raise important issues around the way that our economic system is not
working for the majority of people;

(b) Further notes that the presence outside Sheffield Cathedral
replicates that at St Paul’s in London and hundreds of similar
demonstrations in cities across the world;

(c) Believes that we need a more responsible economy and that the
legitimate concerns raised by Occupy enter the debate about how to
achieve this;

(d) Further believes that the methods of Occupy will not receive
universal support, however acknowledges their right to protest
peacefully; and

(e) Fully supports the important work of Sheffield Cathedral and, in
light of recent comments by the Dean of the Cathedral indicating that it
is now his wish for the protesters to leave the Cathedral, hopes that
the church and Occupy will work together to reach a mutually agreeable
solution.

(f) Whilst supporting Occupy Sheffield’s right to protest, notes the
concerns of the Dean of Sheffield and urges the Occupy Sheffield Group
to respect the wishes of the Cathedral and the Archer Project.”

----- End forwarded message -----