[OccupyComms] Webinar on Building Neighbourhood Support Networks - Tues 10th January

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 5 14:29:44 GMT 2017

Making Neighbourhoods Matter

Join us in this webinar where we look at how we can bring people together
in neighbourhoods to recreate community and tackle the problems of
isolation and alienation that many people experience.

One salient feature of the modern, individualist, consumerist age is a rise
in atomisation and the breakdown of our traditional local community fabric.

Among the many negative consequences of this decline in neighbourhood
sociability there is the well documented increase in the elderly and many
others experiencing isolation, loneliness, limited care options and a range
of related mental heath issues.

This webinar is about a new group, Neighbourhood and Beyond which
is working to counter this disempowering situation at the very local level.
The group has a very simple agenda, which is to begin rebuilding the
community fabric and pursuit of the common good by encouraging the setting
up of lots of neighbourhood support networks.

The webinar will be will be presented by Ros Lucas and Mark Barrett both of
whom have already started working with their neighbours to take the idea
forward) and will be in the form of a brief presentation and participatory
discussion / Q&A.

This webinar will be a good opportunity for participants to find out more
about the initiative, and to look at the possibility of, and also the
barriers to taking it forward in their own local neighbourhoods.

https://app.webinarjam.net/register/20480/7d12cd6f91