[OccupyComms] [OccupyLondon] URGENT! - Agitating for a Participatory Democracy Debate in the PAAA

marknbarrett at googlemail.com marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 6 19:36:34 GMT 2014

Emma wrote
<As it looks like our next OL GA will be on March 1st at the earliest, I'm not sure that OL as a whole would be able to endorse this - if that's what you're suggesting?>

Thanks Emma. I don't think Occupy London could be persuaded to affiliate and that is a requirement for groups wishing to put forward resolutions.

However,  it could get discussed in WG meetings (inc the strategy meeting). If a WG wanted to affiliate with the PAAA to beat the deadline that would be a potential way to take forward a resolution, as affiliated groups need not be local PAs or national campaign organisations. Of course, that would be controversial and possibly not constitutional (does the PAAA and OL's Initial Statement clash enough to make it so ?) but if it was possible,  in itself it wouldn't mean Occupy was affiliating, it would be perhaps more akin to an individual Occupier supporting the PAAA so I suppose it might just be a clever way to quickly get the thing in. However, it could cause so many problems internally at Occupy, the last thing it needs right now.

Therefore a better aternative might be for a WG, rather than choosing to affiliate, instead just working out a good plan to approach local PAs or other suitable (ie affiliated) groups to to encourage the resolution to be taken up by them.

Anyway I think Andria mentioned the strategy meeting and also I wondered if RDWG or a world to win might like to take it forward.

In terms of the March 1st GA I can't see it endorsing affiliation to the PAAA and also as you mentioned it'll be too late in terms of any other strategic intervention.

You also wrote
<I can't see any problem with the first four points - I think they reflect OL's Statements...

1. People feel increasing disenfranchised from our political system where they feel their vote does not count & their voice is not heard.
2. People feel that politicians do not make decisions in the interest and well being of the people and the planet. Instead protecting the wealth and power of their friends and corporations.
3. The current centralized ‘system' is undemocratic and a major factor in how those in power are able to operate.
4. There is an alternative, participatory democracy. The case for this is based a new way of doing politics as exemplified by Occupy & 15M.

... but I have the impression that some occupiers wouldn't agree that PA is the body to promote as an alternative, nor that greater involvement in politics is the way we want to go.>

Thanks again for this Emma. All I know is that if we can use the structures that exist in the PAAA to debate about participatory democracy, and the argument that it (PD) is a, or even THE key part of any realistic alternative to austerity, getting any of that going in a meaningful way within the PAAA movement, then that will surely be a good thing. I have no idea if we can manage it, as you know myself and others have been preparing the ground for it as best we can in our limited numbers. At this stage there is a possibility, an opportunity to try, and that is all and it is up to people to do what they will with it.

Cheers, as always

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

[...]

Anyone else have thoughts about this?