[OccupyComms] Protest in Cambridge tomorrow at noon

rachel mariner rachelmariner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 15:37:50 GMT 2013

Protest tomorrow in Cambridge. Gather at noon at the Crown Court on East
Road. Organized by UKUncut - they are planning to block roads. I plan to
stand in support of the rule of law. Here is more info:

Protest Tomorrow Cambridge Crown Court East Road Noon
*5th October 2013** – **Cambridge** Crown Court – Support statement*
People are gathered here to protest the cuts in legal aid that are part of
an assault on the Ministry of Justice budget, which under the current
government is slated to be cut by one-third between 2010 and 2016. (
www.gov.uk/government/news 5 September 2013)
As a result, the most vulnerable people in our society: prisoners,
immigrants, the working poor will not be able to secure legal aid. Sir
James Munby, the Judge in charge of the Family Division of the Courts
called the cuts “disconcerting” and said from the bench that “something
should be done”. (www.familyandchildlawblogspot.co.uk)
The rights and liberties of the populace has seen an unprecedented assault
in the last fifteen years. Our rights to protest and to privacy, to stand
against the iniquities of the government *at all* have been eroded
consistently, and now the ability of the poorest to protect their most
fundamental rights is being diminished for cost savings, savings that most
think are illusory. (See, e.g., *Transforming Legal Aid, Civil and Prison
Law Proposals: Justice at Risk?* The Law Society, June 2013)
The economic collapse caused by the banks has stretched the middle class
and the working class to the breaking point. It has made it more and more
difficult to make a living, and we are all hard-pressed to find time to
love and enjoy our families, let alone help right the wrongs in our
country.  But the rule of law is fundamental. When it is only for the rich,
our country is in danger of fascism. This is not a fringe issue. Access to
the courts was the main demand at Runnymede. We need it still.
Please write to Minister Grayling and tell him you oppose these cuts. You
can email him atgeneral.queries@*justice*.gsi.gov.uk<general.queries at justice.gsi.gov.uk>
Standing against the legal aid cuts is a way of standing up for the people
with mental health problems in prison, the people with learning
disabilities among the marginal poor, the people who the Crown seeks to
arrest who have no one to defend them, the people known, in Christianity at
least, as “the least of these my brethren”.