[OccupyComms] March Occupy National Conference Proposal

Hudson, Carlus ch451 at exeter.ac.uk
Sat Mar 17 18:15:12 GMT 2012

Hey everyone, and solidarity from Occupy Exeter!

It doesn’t look like much in the way of a national conference for Occupy is being organised for March after the February one fell through. We’re in a position where we need to organise something in the next couple of weeks or we risk losing the momentum and huge progress we’ve made as a movement in developing ties with each other and better coordinating as Occupy across the UK.

I've talked to Symon from Occupy Birmingham, and we'd like to make a joint proposal for Birmingham to host a conference for UK Occupations on the weekend of the 30th March. They have the resources to provide for all the logistical needs of the conference like food and accommodation, and would be delighted to have us all conferencing here!

Naturally, if there is already a conference in the works at another UK Occupation, I've talked to Symon and Birmingham will step aside in that situation since it’s more important that we don’t degenerate into bickering over the relatively minor issue of where the conference should be, and when it’s so urgent that we get a conference going as soon as possible.

In terms of legitimacy and whether the term ’national conference’ accurately applies, if the Birmingham conference goes ahead it will not claim to represent or speak on behalf of any occupations who don’t have any of their members present. The occupations attending will be made clear in a press statement at the end of the conference.

Thoughts, everyone?   :)

Carlus
Occupy Exeter