[OccupyComms] Fwd: [Assemblies] Mexico - 1st Communique YoSoy132

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 2 14:10:32 GMT 2012

First communiqué by the Coordinators of the Movement YoSoy132 (Manifesto)

The current situation in Mexico demands its youth to take the present
in their hands. It is time for us to fight for a change in our
country, it's time that we strive for a Mexico that is more free, more
prosperous, and more just. We want the current situation of misery,
inequality, poverty, and violence to be resolved. We, the youth of
Mexico, believe that the current political and economic system does
not respond to the demands of all Mexicans.

We, the students united of this country, believe that a necessary
condition to correct this situation is to empower the common citizen
through information, because it permits us to make better political,
economic, and social decisions. Access to information allows citizens
to demand and criticize, in a reasoned manner, their government,
policy makers, businessmen, and society itself. That is why the main
demand of YoSoy132 is the right to have access to information and the
right of freedom of expression.

Today, the youth of Mexico has lit a light in the public life of the
country. Let us take on this historic moment with bravery,
responsibility, and integrity. Let us not wait any longer. Let us not
be silent any longer. We, the youth, say, “Present!”

To the national and international media, to the relevant government
bodies, to the general society of Mexico, YoSoy132 declares:
First. We are a nonpartisan movement made up of citizens. As such we
do not express signs of support to any candidate or political party,
but we respect the plurality and diversity of the members of this
movement. Our desires and demands focus on the the defense of freedom
of expression and the right to have access to information; with the
understanding that both of these are essential to form a conscientious
and participatory citizenry. Therefore, we promote an informed and
reasoned vote. We believe that the current political circumstances,
abstaining from or not voting are ineffective actions to advance the
construction of our democracy. We are a movement concerned for the
democratization of the country; as such, we think that a necessary
condition to achieve this involves the democratization of the media.
This concern stems from the current state of the national press and
from the centralization of the media in the hands of the few.

Second. YoSoy132 is an inclusive movement that does not represent only
one university. Its representation depends only on the people who join
this cause, which is articulated through the university committees.
In essence, our movement seeks the democratization of the media in
order to ensure transparent, plural, and minimal standards of
objectivity to promote awareness and critical thinking. This is why:
We demand real competition in the media sector, particularly with
regard to the media duopoly of Televisa and TV Azteca.
We demand that all media (radio, television, and print) incorporate
instruments to safeguard the public interest.
We demand that the various schools of communication publicly bid for
their public channel's license.
We demand that access to Internet be a constitutional right, under the
terms established in Article 1 of our Magna Carta.
We demand that there be spaces for debate between youth, academics,
and the media about the above demands.
We demand the safety for the members of this movement, who express
themselves freely throughout the country, and for particular
journalists, who have been struck by violence. Furthermore, we express
absolute solidarity with the people who in recent days have been
suppressed in different states of the republic for expressing their
ideas.

Our immediate demand is for a national televised broadcasting of the
debate of the candidates for the presidency of the republic. This is
not an imposition on a privileged audience, but rather its a way to
guarantee the right to choose to either see it or not, to those who
today do not even have that possibility.

To the university students and to the youth of Mexico: this movement
calls on you to organize, to join and make these your own demands and
to express them, especially using your creativity through culture!

For a true democracy! ¡YoSoy132!

Translated from Spanish at
http://yosoy132internacional.wikispaces.com/1.+Manifiesto+traducido

El texto esta en ingles, encuentras la traduccion en espanhol debajo:

This list publishes texts endorsed by people's assemblies. It is
moderated by a global working group, committed to providing
noise-free, reliable, and transparent communication infrastructure for
the movements.

Assembly-endorsed political statements published here will be
re-published at http://www.peoplesassemblies.org/category/statements/

The assemblies list is only one aspect of our communications work. You
may also want to consider signing up to the Newswire which allows
posts from your local blog to be globally syndicated. More info at
http://www.peoplesassemblies.org/newswire/

Our next weekly global Mumble meeting: the PAN admin team are no
longer meeting on Mondays but we do hope to reconvene soon to take
forward our work of improving inter-assembly comms, collecting local
political statements, aims and priorities into one place.

Email pan-owner at lists.takethesquare.net if you want to know more, want
to help, or are part of a group working on international
communication. And if there is no group working on international
communication in your movement - start one!

Esta lista publica mensajes refrendados por las asambleas populares.
Lista moderada por un grupo de trabajo global, dedicada a ofrecer una
infrestructura de comunicacion libre de ruido, confiable y
transparente para el movimiento. La lista es solo una parte de nuestra
labor comunicativa. Los mensajes enviados seran publicados en
diferentes paginas globales y estaran disponibles via RSS y en una
pagina mundial de noticias.

Nuestra proxima reunion de mumble sera; the PAN admin team are no
longer meeting on Mondays but we do hope to reconvene soon to take
forward our work of improving inter-assembly comms, collecting local
political statements, aims and priorities into one place.
Email: pan-owner at lists.takethesquare.net. Eres bienvenido, si quieres
saber mas o sientes que puedes ayudar o si eres miembro de un grupo de
Comunicacion Internacional. Y si no hubiera un grupo de comunicacion
en tu asamblea lo puedes innaugurar tu!
for unsubscribe/etc: