[OccupyComms] Occupy Bristol update & International Actions

occupybristol at riseup.net occupybristol at riseup.net
Fri Jan 27 13:38:05 GMT 2012

Hi All

Was wondering if there were any minutes for the National meeting last
weekend in Sheffield?

We are also keen to see the UK really getting behind these international
calls for action

First:
http://march31.net/

Then building to the Global strike on 15th May:
https://n-1.cc/pg/pages/view/1072753

Building the international side of things is something we should really
support.

Just a quick update on what's been happening in Bristol:

* We had a court date for eviction

* We decided not to fight it using the legal process
http://www.occupybristoluk.org/we-are-leaving-college-green/

* Couple of people did some freeman stuff in Court
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hV-beLczhug And
then 'occupied' the court for five hours:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086605/Occupy-Bristol-protesters-finally-agree-pack-tents.html

* We had some disagreements about whether to leave or not, decided to be
open about it. http://www.occupybristoluk.org/one-movement-two-strategies/

* We are still waiting for our 'fancy dress' eviction, but most of the
site is packed away.

* Meanwhile we have continued with our Bristol 2050 project:
Bristol 2050 is an attempt to use a participatory process, through a
series of open public meetings, to plan a sustainable and fair future for
our cities inhabitants.
We hope that by looking forward 40 years we can provide a platform for the
people of Bristol to come up with some interesting ideas about how we want
our city and society to be organised.
* Can we come up with a local system of food production and distribution
that is fair?
* Can we build a local transport system that will survive peak oil?
* Can we build a local energy system that will sustain us?
* Can we come up with a local system of exchanging goods that is fair?
* Do we need growth to do these things? Will we need London to govern us?
If we as a city have some coherence about what we would like the future to
be like, then the steps to get there will become clearer to everyone.
We will then clearly see what ACTION we need to take today, to move us to
where we want to be. http://bristol2050.org.uk/

* We also have a upcoming meeting on the second phase of Occupy Bristol:
https://www.facebook.com/occupybristol/posts/258690704200361

In solidarity

Occupy Bristol Comms