[OccupyComms] [OccupySheffield] Tesco seriously getting it on Facebook at the mo'

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 18 20:37:55 GMT 2012

Hey Everyone :)

There is what looks to be an exciting Occupy and wider mobilisation
underway in response to the government's awful workfare programme.

This is great because, as a movement I think we should be all over this
like a rash. But in my view not only should we be joining forces with
others blocking it, we should be adding an Occupy imprint to the whole
thing by putting forward democratic alternatives to the present model of
employment in the UK. The 'Labour' Party is nowhere to be seen on this, and
in my opinion the issue of work and productivity goes to the heart of the
future direction, not to mention fulfilment of our society.

I would like to explore this further, and have some ideas to share as part
of a discussion but first I wanted to cast out for interest in our group in
taking this forward.

I have sent this message to the London Economics and Democracy WGs as i
think it purtains to both groups, but I also wanted to see how people felt
about it nationally.
Personally I think a national Occupy Work conference would be the way to go
if we could first thrash out some common ground, aswell as considering and
identifying some of the different strands of thinking on benefits and the
future of employment that we collectively hold.

What do people think - worth a discussion on-line to start with ?

Best wishes

Mark
On 16 February 2012 17:18, Andy Cropper (personal email) <artbyandyc at aol.com
> wrote:

>  Oh my lord!!! Currently going off on facebook as we speak the Tesco
> homepage is getting bombarded by folk angry with Tesco's abuse and use of
> people on Job Seekers Allowance -
> https://www.facebook.com/tesco?sk=wall&filter=12  sorry to all
> non-facebookers but you can email Teco's complaint department here -
>
> see the story behind the outrage here
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/feb/16/work-free-tesco-job-advert
>
> and here's the job advertisement on the Yougov site -
> http://jobcentreplus.jobhits.co.uk/TESCO-NIGHT-SHIFT-id-BSD-27442
>
> and here's Tesco's response to the furore -
> http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/02/16/tesco-jsa-expenses-modern-slavery-wages-dwp-_n_1281298.html?ref=uk
>
> And another job advert by McDonald's of a similar nature is here  -
> http://jobs.mcdonalds.co.uk/uk/united-kingdom/crew-member/work-trial-greenock-1-jobs
>
> And the story about the scheme itself -
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/nov/16/young-jobseekers-work-pay-unemployment
>

> Andyxxx