[OccupyComms] Council motions and People Assemblies

outreach at occupynorwich.org outreach at occupynorwich.org
Thu Dec 8 11:51:19 GMT 2011

Dear occupations!

It has not been a month since we all got together for the first time in
London and our communication has picked up since and we have seen some
great achievements. I am aware that some camps are struggling with the
winter coming along and with general burn-out. However, this should not
let us down or mislead us. Those same camps keep organising great events
and activities and the support of occupy is growing across the world and
in governments and amongst journalists.

Some of the most promising ways for change that we can truly achieve I
think are already paved by some of us. Edinburgh's motion shows that
Council's are not all closed to the people's views and may in fact
absolutely support occupy's visions. London has great access to the
Guardian. Bath's People Assembly shows that the public can be motivated
and an alternative form of original democracy can be (re-)learnt by our
communities. Democracy motivates if people play a role, and the more
people play a role and are heard, the more content everyone is with the
outcome and the more willing people are to show soldarity. It can only
blossom.

I think the way forward for all of us is to try to achieve those same
changes in our communities. If we start introducing an alternative
consensus democracy from below all across the UK/Ireland, the chances
are much greater that we can have an impact on the national levels, not
to think beyond. As we learnt last night in commemoration of the Kett
brothers in Norwich, who gave up their wealth to fight with the peasants
and against the Enclosure acts (where common land was made the property
of "landowners" and local people were removed from it), capitalism as we
know it today one could suggest was born in this country. Whether this
is precise or not, we feel a special duty to reverse history.

Occupy Norwich has formed a working group in order to try to get our
Council sign a motion very much like Edinburgh. At the GA on Saturday I
will suggest to combine this with a Norwich People's Assembly, so that
the Council can follow up it's motion objectives based on and with the
help of the people's true opinions and wishes.

Thanks to everybody for their great spirit that keeps this movement
moving!

Best
Vanessa
Occupy Norwich