[OccupyComms] conferences minutes

Occupy Newcastle occupynewcastle at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 16:23:36 GMT 2011

Hi Vanessa & Comms,

Sam from Newcastle here, speaking as an individual. I've been wondering
about the same thing. Ideally, demands of transparency could be good move,
therefore by definition of our 'morals', surely we must be transparent
ourselves. But to what extent, if at all, does this make us vulnerable?
Also, by our 'branding', we are the 99%, we are too big to fail. And all
that. So surely, who cares who sees what? Perhaps just posting the action
points, and synthesising/summarising points made, if anything, so people
can just scan through it.

I've written minutes from a few weeks of meetings, and with a laptop I
could record every comment and point. My theory was that if posted,
everyone would know if any opinion they might share was discussed, how a
decision was reached etc. This could make infiltration easy, but I'm not
entirely sure if we should even worry about this. Occupy is big. The only
disadvantage of posting these huge discussions (talking 4 or 5 pages
sometimes) was that it'd take a lot of concentration to read through -
assemblies can be a headache, can't imagine reading is any better.

So my suggestion, or proposal, is that we develop a format for minutes that
can easily shared and adapted within different Occupys.

Thanks for reading,
Sam