[meersbrook-house] IP address for survey

Nick Roscoe nick at nickroscoe.com
Thu Sep 11 20:55:37 GMT 2014

Hi David

I trust this man and he is certainly not having me on - this is what he has
been told.   Private and informal conversations are very useful in these
circumstances where you know there's little chance of getting anything in
writing soon from SCC.    The official position has already been stated -
I've no reason to doubt this or what councillors have said, which is that
IF there is going to be a move it will not be imminent - I think Cate
McDonald said that if they were to move it would not be until next
financial year at the big meeting.  She wouldn't have said this unless she
was confident that it was true - there's no point at all in saying that.

I'm as concerned as anyone that the council might be going to move everyone
out and go on to sell, but as things stand, until SCC do confirm this there
is no point in us stating it.  By all means say the council MAY sell the
building - it's good to say this, because they may and the public needs to
know what is at stake, but if they are still at the weighing up stage we
need to keep things like that and not aggravate by saying they're moving
out when we don't know for sure that they are.

The development of this Friends group is very much part of the decision
making there.  I think it is best to get off to a strong start off with a
robust Friends group with high expectations, an optimistic outlook, loads
of public support and evidence of that.  This takes time, and it takes time
to attract good people who know about this sort of thing- we need
architects, quantity surveyors, people with experience managing and
developing buildings.   With those sorts of people on board, and a good
business plan, then we might actually turn out to be the best option for
the council.  That's for the future, but for now I think there's nothing to
be gained by ascribing plans to SCC which we can't substantiate.

Leaflets - Anthony has found a cheap printer here,  they are UK based and
not Vistaprint, I will circulate the minutes of the last meeting tomorrow,
but we have no money and Kaktus has said MPUT would offer some funds
towards this.  I don't think a small charity like MPUT should be expected
to effectively make donations to local business - let someone a bit more
well off make that call.

Nick