[meersbrook-house] MEERSBROOK HOUSE

kaktusandnome leach kaktus_nome at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 18 14:39:30 GMT 2014

The future of Meersbrook House and the Pavilion
Meeting called by Meersbrook Park Users Trust on 4 June 2014

 Chair Liz Martinez
Present: about 60 people most of whom joined an email list now managed by Chris Croome. There were representatives from MPUT, playgroups, After School Club, Wild Life Watch, Carfield Choir, Friends of Bishops House, Heeley Development Trust, residents from Brook Road, Cliffefield Road, Burcot Road, Meersbrook Park Road, Meersbrook Avenue, Leeshall Road, Upper Valley Road, Albert Road, a governor from Meersbrook Bank School.
Councillors Cate McDonald and Steve Jones.
No attendance by Council officers.

Points made (it was hard to identify all the speakers, so none except the councillors have been named. There is a gap between each speaker)

Introduction by Kaktus Leach from MPUT
Meersbrook Vestry Hall, a busy community building, was sold about 20 years ago by SCC with no benefit to the local community.
The Parks Department offices will be moving sometime to the Moorfoot building from Meersbrook House. The house, dating from 1760's (and later) is Grade II listed. It stands within the park, which is itself protected by the 1906 Open Spaces Act. SCC is the 'guardian' of the park.
Meersbrook House and park were bought by Sheffield Corporation in 1885. There is a restrictive covenant on the building and other buildings in the park, on subsequent owners, that they should be for use by the public, eg for a free library.
The Parks Department Archives are housed at Meersbrook House, though there is no longer an archivist.
The Pavilion was built as a temporary nursery during the war. It is at the end of its life and has to be inspected annually. It is very well used by several groups.
The Community Buildings Team are maintaining it at present
The meeting has been called to begin planning ahead, over the next 2-3 years, though as yet there is no time scale for the Parks Department's move.
The worst that could happen is that the building is unused and left empty.
The Accomodation Committee is considering community use among other options.

There is new lottery funding for communities to buy or renovate buildings. This takes 2-3 years to prepare applications for.

Example of Unstone Grange which was bequeathed to the city with a restrictive covenant specifying educational uses. This was enforced by a successful local campaign.

If Meersbrook House is sold, would the money be earmarked for rebuilding the pavilion?

Who would buy?

Councillor Cate McDonald said no decisions have been made yet, there are no specific plans at present. There is no way the building would be left empty. Meersbrook House and the Pavilion will be considered in tandem.

We need time to take on any building.
We need liaison with the Local Authority and a first point of contact.

Cate McDonald, there will be consultation with the community.

Will this group be part of the shaping of the future of these buildings?
Steve Jones, the council is committed to voluntary groups and partnerships. The aim is to keep and improve a beautiful park. We want to work with people, but local government is in a very difficult financial situation. It will not be easy, and there is a long lead time.

Easier if we start now.
We want to be part of the decision making process. We want a commitment to having a discussion.

The ownership of two buildings could conflict. Who would retain ownership of Meersbrook House? At the moment it is a liability to the Council. If it is sold this would release capital to the Council, and an option would be another community building.
Bishops House -the Council retain ownership.

After school club in the pavilion is viable and successful without any grants. Groups that use the pavilion could be accomodated in Meersbrook House.
Maybe offices could be rented out, maybe a cafe.

Mixed use is an idea, as the house is too big, but not for private housing or offices.

There is open park around the house, we would not want the house fenced off.
What is the time scale?

Cate McDonald, the council will start to talk next year. The council has looked at all the buildings it owns over the last two years.

How can we formalize our input?

Cate, 1) Council is moving staff to a smaller number of buildings
2)Community buildings, there will be a large scale consultation, likely to be in the next financial year.

Concerned that decisions will be made very quickly, and we need time to prepare.

Fund raising takes 2-4 years.

We must establish a steering Group.

Cate, all buildings in M. Park will be looked at together.

Is the review city wide?

Cate, area wide.
Steve, the focus is is on the best result, this park is valued.

What is our vision? What do we want? We mustn't wait for the Council, we could set up a charity, or a coop....

At Mountpleasant, there are people living there as caretakers till solutions are found.

Cate, one option, sale of the house to fund buildings in the Walled Garden and the Pavilion, but there are other options.

Would a council officer be nominated for contact and advice?

Cate, will consider suggestions, and contact me or Community Buildings.
An option is that the pavilion is demolished at some stage.

It would be useful for us to liaise with a Council Officer.

What are the costs of running the house?

Cate, that is commercially sensitive information.

To improve this building is a huge undertaking, do we want to take it on?

If M. House is sold we would lose a bit of the park.

Parks Dept running costs are £110,000

How much money does the Council want to recoup?

Cate, the Council mainly wants to reduce liabilities.

This is an immense opportunity, but would need fund raising etc

Cate, cant commit not to sell to a private developer, but would consider a community proposal.

Steering Committee

About 12 people indicated interest in being on the Steering Committtee.
Use attendance sheet from this meeting, Chris Croome to set up an open email list.
All meetings would be open meetings.
Need a brief.
List of skills among the people who attended eg in fund raising
Need a Chair etc
A Trust for fundraising.

Is Meersbrook Park Users Trust the umbrella? No, would need to be independent. Mput has been the 'midwife'.

Next meeting 18 June at 7.30pm in the Pavilion.

>From my notes of the meeting, apologies for any omissions and errors, there were so many people it wasn't an easy task.
Naomi Brent

Meersbrook House