[ifwea-bulletin] Re: FW: Please help me! This is confidential to you.

Katherine Peet kmpeet at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 03:20:56 GMT 2008

CONFIDENTIAL to the two of you:

I have just sent the following to our Administrator and President - thanks
for your help. Our AGM is 13 April.

Best wishes,
Katherine
    from        Katherine Peet <kmpeet at gmail.com>
    date        16 Mar 2008 15:12
    subject        Re IFWEA for the AGM

IFWEA conference 2007 and why stay in IFWEA.

The following excerpts (in italics) from the IFWEA conference and associated
seminar may help explain why I recommend that we stay a member of IFWEA -
basically as an act of solidarity with developments they are leading.

The IFWEA member in India who hosted the conference in December 2007 was
thanked for their traditional welcome and acknowledged for their outstanding
activities in informal economy organising, they were praised for the example
they have set in the world in their fight against social exclusion and
poverty.

The keynote address focused on the current global economy and levels of
unemployment, poverty, inequality and social deregulation. Emphasis was
placed on the need for workers' education to promote decent work,
solidarity, equality, peace and democracy along with alliances of trade
unions, civil society organizations, NGO's and all local, regional and
international forces in promoting a fairer society, decent work and decent
life.

Asia-Pacific region
The regional delegate reported that the Asia-Pacific region has experienced
some of the most significant challenges in the period under review. The
labour movement as a whole has been under attack poised by neo-liberal
corporate strategies and repressive political development.
The IFWEA office for the next year would be hosted by the LRS in South
Africa and by 2009 a separate office at Community house in Cape Town.

Seminar on Workers in the Informal Economy
This was held in association with the Conference.
A 4 year education plan was produced with the key priorities being:

    * Political economy training around globalisation and its impact
      Informal work and the global economy
      Worker rights and human rights
      Building organisation - how, why, different models(include
cooperatives)
      Developing skills for income generation
      Self organisation
      Organise for decent work
      International conventions
      Role of the state (police, courts etc)
      Understanding trade union organisation: Principles and values
      Understanding the legislative environment
      Negotiation skills
      Common problems and how to overcome them
      Campaigning skills/strategies, including dealing with the media
      Leadership/management training
      Marketing information/skills

How is this being done in the United States?

There is a new economic education program that tries to help workers
understand the impact of neo-liberal policies (we don't call them
Neo-liberal, we call them the corporate agenda). This story is geared to
American workers but in fact a version of this story could be developed for
every country. This program is being delivered by top leaders as well as
leaders and rank and file members from across the labor movement who have
been trained to conduct classes. There are many versions.
Free trade, off shore work exploitation, privatization, deregulation and tax
cuts for the wealthy, has caused economic instability. When what is needed
is fair trade, rebuilding manufacturing, work justice, quality service,
public investments and fair taxes from a good government..... By holding
elected officials accountable and by demanding corporate accountability
these issues can be checked and resolved.

In addition we need to be aware that this last conference produced a new
IFWEA secretary Sahra Ryklief and president Susan Schurman - they are both
great women - I have met them both.  I am sure they will be interested in
knowing what we are doing and that they will draw us in to the IFWEA agenda
- for example the next phase of the IFWEA initiative to build a network of
methodologies and resources We may be able to access them for our purposes.

Finally I would like to add that no other international organsiation brings
together labour/worker educators in unions, NGOs and public sector
organisations around  the common mission of offering education for democracy
building, human rights and poitical/economic consciousness raising. The
current major emphasis on organising the informal economy and linking that
to organising in the formal economies is a particular strategic direction
that no other organisation is tackling, as far as I know.

Let's renew our membership.

Katherine

--
87 Soleares Ave