[Hazelhurst-Newsletter] AGM invite & possible change of structure

Hazelhurst Admin admin at hazelhurst.coop
Mon Sep 14 17:01:29 GMT 2015

 Dear All

 This letter brings you mostly good news, some not so good news, an
 important proposal and a request for a response. It is a warm up to the
 AGM to be held on 8 October from 5 pm at the Heeley Institute. It is a
 cut to point summary with more details following next week within the
 annual report.

 The good news is that we continue to have a viable business, we have
 maintained the customer base and made a surplus of approximately £2000
 this financial year which can be used to offset borrowing from previous
 years. Our new worker Kim has settled in really well, as has the new
 grower Nick who started in January and had worked wonders in this short
 time. We have successfully restarted volunteering on the land on a
 Wednesday from 10-14.00 and behind all this land based success,
 Sheffield Organic Growers is thriving.

 The problem in brief is that 3 people left the committee over the year
 and this leaves only 2 people to support Hazelhurst CSA and no sign of
 this changing in the near future, do prove me wrong on this one. Our
 conclusion is that the current structure does not work to the strengths
 of the enterprise. Therefore, we propose the formation of a Hazelhurst
 workers co-operative. This maintains the Hazelhurst CSA brand, ideals
 and principles but allows the structure to fit in better with the
 current dynamics of a vibrant land based business.

 However, the workers still need members to step up and participate in
 the running of the workers co-op to ensure there is sufficient support
 and appropriate governance of the project on behalf of other members and
 to have fun of course. We especially need help with Admin/IT.

 So, just to recap, what we would like to know is what you think about
 hazelhurst changing its structure to a workers coop? Please respond with
 your thoughts on this change and attend the AGM and ALSO most important-
 think of anyway you would like to support or participate in growing our
 emerging workers co-op.

 Joan Miller
 Chair of Hazelhurst Community Supported Agriculture
 07505129329
 01142498613

 PS- We are joining forces with the fabulous Well Dressed Band for a
 fund raising Ceilidh on Sunday 4 October at the Bromhall Centre from
 7.30.